What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Wonderboy by Tenacious D
Hands down the greatest song ever!
- 9. Sober by Tool
Once again, Maynard is THE MAN!
- 8. Three Libras by A Perfect Circle
Ok, i crept into 2000 here, but it had to be done. Great song, Maynard is the man!
- 7. The Door by Silverchair
Great drums, crazy guitar
- 6. Anthem by Blink 182
I dunno, its just tht damn good
- 5. Never There by Cake
It was big for awhile, introduced me to the band
- 4. Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins
- 3. Evenflow by Pearl Jam
- 2. Come Out and Play by Offspring
Their best album was Smash, and ill never forget this song
- 1. The Freshman by The Verve Pipe
Not a big fan, but come on....
Everyones list is different, based on the emotions tht go with each song, maybe you can even tell something about a person by their list (thts deep no?) anyways, these all stuck out for me for one reason or another, although i guess i ignored early nineties, i didnt discover music till later...
By: Kym Pallot
- 10. Wake Up by Rage Against the Machine
Well, i had to mention them somewhere....quite an awesome little number from the boys of RATM. Was justified in the matrix, got a bit of airplay, what it so deserved....Zach is amazing when i comes to pointing out the faults in the current law enforcments..and has a very schweet voice. Tom, fantastic guitar scratching..
- 9. Champagne Supernova by Oasis
This was a toughie. I love oasis, as a band, not necessarily to fond of the gallager bros. outside of it....anyway, this song is of epic proportions, rises like a cool sea breeze, creating a sense of comfort then, crashes down like a 20 footer square onto your head...then eases off again....beautiful
- 8. Karma Police by Radiohead
"This is what you get, when you mess with us" ...Thom Yorkes view from the other side of the fence...paranoid, skitz, insane all together he may be, but regardless, yorke is an absolute genius when it comes to mentally attacking the conforming authorities that rule our lives.....please thom, when you DO got to the moon, take me with you..please.
- 7. I Got ID (a.k.a I Got Shit) by Pearl Jam
"i walked in line, when you held me in that night" ...who cant relate to that? ...this is incredible..i loved this song from the moment i heard it, which is rare, im definatley a 'get used to it' person... i think this is better live than on merkin ball....awesome
- 6. Mayonnaise by The Smashing Pumpkins
Yes, it may be slow, it may drag to some (those who don't apprieciate), but mayonnaise is an absolute pearler to those who can understand and feel music and what billy is trying to say. "I just want to be.. ME!' ..get the hint.
- 5. Given to Fly by Pearl Jam
One Pearl Jams and rocks finest moments... given to fly is a wonderful and gripping story of a gifted man who is shunned by society because he is not 'normal' ...who really wants to fucking conform?? .. beautiful riff accompanied by a wonderful roll and chorus
- 4. Tonight, Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins
if you include an orchestra in a rock song, you're a fool....if you pull it off, you'r a genius..and thats exactley what billy and the team (james, darcy and jimmy...melissa later on..) have done with this outstanding piece. Judge them on this song and you wont be dissapointed ..(Pumpkins Rule)
- 3. Black by Pearl Jam
Stunning....this gets the emotions running at full speed..eddie, once again, god. ... just have to mention the whole band ..mike, stone, jeff, dave A(1), dave A(2), jack, and matt....(there have been 4 drummers...) i dont feel they get enough credit, considering how amazing they are
- 2. Rocket by The Smashing Pumpkins
I didnt put this in 2nd spot to the last minute, i absolutely love this song, but im not sure wheather it should be this high, hmm....still, awesome roll thoughout the song, and billy corgans lyrics kick, "bleed in your own light, dream of your own life, i miss me, i miss...everything...i'll never be"
- 1. Alive by Pearl Jam
What can I say......ah, although this song has been completley destroyed by mass radio air play, you cant ignore teh sheer brilliance of the song... eddie vedder is a god when it comes to lyrics (not too shabby at songwriting either). The final solo in this epic is awesome, mike mccready i take my hat off to you.
I have missed a lot of what i wanted to put...but a Pearl Jam/ Smashing Pumpkins top 10 seemed a little selfish ......songs very much worth a mention are.... Pearl Jam - In Hiding, SP - 1979, SP - Tear, SP - Drown, PJ - Betterman, PJ - Jeremy, PJ - Wishlist, PJ - Rearviewmirror (pretty much the whole Pearl Jam catalouge to be honest) Counting Crows - Colorblind, Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box, Radiohead - Paranoid Android, Radiohead - The Bends, Radiohead - Let Down, Silverchair - Emotion Sickness, Silverchair - Ana's Song (Open Fire) ...etc... theres heaps more, but i cant be bothered...oh, oh ...all of LIVE ! (lakinis juice)and coldplay!..
- 10. Amercian Bad A@# by Kid Rock
- 9. Bawitdaba by Kid Rock
- 8. My Way by Limp Bizkit
- 7. Rollin by Limp Bizkit
- 6. The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson
- 5. F.o.t.b.o.t.i. by Six Fet Under
- 4. Revenge Of The Zombie by Six Feet Under
- 3. Snap by Slipknot
- 2. Surfacing by Slipknot
- 1. Wait And Bleed by Slipknot
slipknot is the best band in the world
- 10. Rock Superstar by Cypresshill
- 9. Pardon me by Incubus
- 8. Hits From The Bong by Cypress Hill
Yes i am listenin 2 cypress hill wilst writin this
- 7. School Of Hard Knocks by P.O.D.
The song from the Adam Sandeler film Little Nicky
- 6. The Way I Am by Eminem
- 5. Americana by The Offspring
- 4. Tricky by Run DMC
- 3. Africa Shox by Leftfeild
- 2. Damit by Blink 182
- 1. California Love by 2Pac and Dr Dre
boingy boingy boingy boingy
- 10. Polly by Nirvana
- 9. Twist by Korn
it's fun to sing to
- 8. Bidi Bidi Bom Bom by Selana
- 7. Dirty by Korn
if you have the CD you may know what i mean
- 6. Too Much by Dave Matthews Band
- 5. Freak On A Leash by korn
- 4. Got The Life by Korn
- 3. The Dance by Garth Brooks
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 1. Children of the Korn by Korn
By: Eden B.
- 10. 2 Become 1 by Spice Girls
- 9. Girl on TV by LFO
- 8. What I Am by Emma Bunton & Tin Tin out
- 7. I Want You Back by Mel B & Missy Elliot
- 6. Goin' Down by Melanie C
- 5. Babe by Take That
- 4. As Long As You Love by Backstreet Boys
- 3. Spice Up You're Life by Spice Girls
- 2. Barbie Girl by Aqua
- 1. Wannabe! by Spice Girls
Wannabe was the Spice Girls first Single off their debet album "Spice".
- 10. Summertime by Will Smith
Yes, Will Smith actually had a cool song.
- 9. R. Kelly by Bump n Grind
- 8. The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground
- 7. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
You know you loved those shaved eyebrows.
- 6. Funkdafied by Da Brat
- 5. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
- 4. Loser by Beck
- 3. The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 1. Nothin' But A G Thang by Dre and Snoop
Who are writing these lists? Twelve year olds? Go back a little before filling in with that boy band and pop crap. The top 5 changed music forever. The other were just trends.
- 10. Candle in the Wind by Elton John
- 9. Hands by Jewel
- 8. Stay by Dave Matthews Band
- 7. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town by Pearl Jam
- 6. Angel by Sarah McLachlan
- 5. Don't Speak by No Doubt
- 4. That Thing by Lauryn Hill
- 3. One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey and Boyz 2 Men
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 1. Good Riddance by Green Day
- 10. Cast No Shadow by Oasis
- 9. Automatic Flowers by Our Lady Peace
- 8. Tangerine by Moist
- 7. Clint Eastwood by Gorrilaz
- 6. In the End by Linkin Park
- 5. Last Resort by Papa Roach
- 4. Return of the Mack by Mark Morrison
- 3. Sonne by Rammstein
- 2. Kajdamu Swoya Pagoda by Detsl
- 1. Unforgiven by Mettalica
By: Wil McMillen
- 10. Lost In America by Alice Cooper
Man, this song makes more sense the more I listen to it...
- 9. Pepper by Butthole Surfers
More than just the Surfers doing Beck, this is one of the most intricatly built songs of the 90s. Put on the headset and listen for every background nuance you can find.
- 8. Devil's Haircut by Beck
This song schwangs....
- 7. Til I Hear It From You by Gin Blossoms
Of all the songs the Blossoms released in the early nineties, this is the one that actually makes me nostalgic for high school...and flannel...
- 6. Wide River by Steve Miller Band
Beautiful guitar work. A lovely song.
- 5. Mother Mother by Tracy Bonham
If only for the wild banshee yell of "Everthings FINE!!!!" when everything clearly is not.
- 4. California Love by Tupac
The greatest rap song of the 90's. Period.
- 3. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
It's become a clone, but this song pimp slapped Milli Vanilli and unseated the self professed "King of Pop." That it spawned a million copycat bands and in the process killed its own unique sound is only a side note. To change an entire industry almost overnight is a feat seen only once every generation. Still has the power to floor a room.
- 2. Please by U2
I could argue all day that "Pop" is U2's best album, but I'm tired of that. Instead I'll just casually mention that this is U2's greatest accomplishment in a 20 year career. A beautiful song.
- 1. Phony Eyes by The 77's
Possibly the greatest unheard song of all time. So delicate you feel like it could break at any second.
This list looks a little white bread to me, for someone who listened to rap more exclusively than anything else during the nineties. I guess that I couldn't just find one or two to fit in. So a shout out has to go to Cube and his entire "Predator" album, the best (and angriest) album of the 90's.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book