What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Realive by Sam Black Church
Now defunct local hardcore. Makes me think of being 12 and goig to my first show, getting my ass kicked and loving it. Jerks some tears.
- 9. My Sanctuary by Pig
Amazing song, amazing man.
- 8. Bare by The Cure
Always has a special place. Robert Smith is God.
- 7. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In a Small Town by Pearl Jam
Can't help but sing along...in fact, I have a theory that if I don't, my head will explode.
- 6. Narrative of Soul Against Soul by AFI
A song not many people like, but it, and the album from which it came, was the best non-punk, punk albums ever.
- 5. The Becoming by Nine Inch Nails
Probably my favourite song ever, just pure genius.
- 4. Reload by Ministry
The first coagulated, real industrial band, and still one of the best.
- 3. Midlife Crisis by Faith No More
Bow down to the power of Mike Patton, whelps.
- 2. Level 4 Outbreak by The Nerve Agents
Not one their best, but the best off the only album they did in the '90's. A great anthem for a hardcore band.
- 1. Black by Pearl Jam
Never ceases to make me stop and think about all the reasons I should be bawling.
(no particuliar order)
By: Jack Montpellier
- 10. Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
Download it and you'll understand.
- 9. Heart-Shaped Box by Nirvana
The Smells Like Teen Spirit of the In Utero album, HSB is a contradictory song of the horrors of love.
- 8. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Too bad Californication wassen't around in the 90's! However, this soulful song (opening with a great bass solo) expresses suicide due to love very clearly.
- 7. Better Man by Pearl Jam
"I'm better then that a**hole shes dating." If you've been there, you'll agree on this one.
- 6. Creep by Radiohead
A song that was taken off many radiostation's playlists due to it being "too sad". Radiohead is very empowering in that sence, and this song about an ugly man in love with a woman who dossent even know he exists is classic.
- 5. Good Riddence by Green Day
Better known as "time of your life", this song is one that makes you cry and smile at the same time.
- 4. Beautiful Day by U2
I'm not a huge U2 fan, but this one definately deserves a place up there.
- 3. Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins
Better known as "Rat in a Cage" this song is not the best of theirs in my opinion, however it possesses the core message behind one of the 90's best bands.
- 2. Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Download the Accoustic version. Its a beautiful song about a love turned to obsession.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Incredible chords, as well as an aswsome video. Lets also not forget the lyrics about nothingness. Incredible song, absolutely insane. Adictive too.
Too bad Led Zeppelin was in the 70's and not the 90's.
By: Joey Garrison
- 10. Collective Soul by December
- 9. Beck by The New Pollution
- 8. If I Ever Lose My Faith in You by Sting
- 7. 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
- 6. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
- 5. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...
- 4. Wonderwall by Oasis
- 3. Mariah Carey by Emotion
and your point is...
- 2. !ho am i (w!hat's My Name) by Snoop Doggy Dogg
yep. that's right.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
very nice song.
By: Varun Rajendran
- 10. Will You be There by Michael Jackson
Shows how he can rule the 60s,70s,80s,90s, and 00s.
- 9. Amish Paradise by Weird Al Yankovic
Made Weird Al temporarily popular. Started the paroy fas
- 8. Rockefeller Skank by Fatboy Slim
Started the electronic music craze. Some good music.
- 7. Still D.R.E by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg
Hip-hop song that brought back Dr. Dre into the limelight in the world f rap.
- 6. Tubthumping by Chumbawamba
Cool song by Anarchist band.
- 5. Good Riddance (Time of You Life) by Green Day
Cool song. Brought attention to Green Day and punk music.
- 4. Intergalactic by Beastie Boys
Cool hip-hop. Brought much attention to Tibetan struggle.
- 3. Guerilla Radio by Rage Against the Machine
Hard rock leftist rock. Really influenced me in terms of ideas and thinking. Check them out.
- 2. Don't Speak by No Doubt
First hit of No Doubt. Propelled SoCal ska.
- 1. Smells Lie Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Just a symbol of the 90s. Influenced others. Made you ma. Signified the early 90s teenager.
- 10. Condition Oakland by Jawbreaker
- 9. When Angels Sing by Social Distortion
- 8. We Threw Gasoline on the Fire by Nofx
- 7. I'm Ok, You're Ok by Mxpx
- 6. San Francisco by Alkaline Trio
- 5. Waggy by Blink 182
- 4. Ache by Jawbreaker
- 3. California Sky by Unwritten Law
- 2. Third Engine by Saves The Day
- 1. Summer Wind Was Always Our Song by The Ataris
(came out on LP End is forever in 2001, but was originally released on EP Look Forward To Failure in 1998, so it still counts)
By: Stephen Jenkins
- 10. R.E.M. by Everybody Hurts
- 9. God of Wine by Third Eye Blind
- 8. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
- 7. Come Undone by Duran Duran
- 6. Lightning Crashes by Live
- 5. No Rain by Blind Melon
- 4. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
- 3. Name by Goo Goo Dolls
- 2. November Rain by Guns N' Roses
- 1. One by U2
- 10. Cemetary Gates by Pantara
ever think pantara can make you hurt inside? dl the live version
- 9. Losing my religion by REM
feel good song, at the same time, can be so sad
- 8. Sober by Tool
when everything is falling apart, and you cant....
- 7. What do i have to do by Stabbing Westward
if everything by stabbing is forgotten, please spare this song....
- 6. Whats this life For by Creed
inspiring, powerful....drives us
- 5. Self Esteem by Offspring
u had a wild girl that you couldnt get enough of...this one goes out to you, and me
- 4. Creep by Radiohead
yes...were all creeps
- 3. Comedown by Bush
anytime we find something that weve needed, dont wanna lose it
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
How we are, how we will be heard
- 1. Today by Smashing Pumpkins
I was suicidal when i was given this song on tape.....i found out later what the message in the song was
if you are a sweet girl in the houston area, email me....well, if u like the music....that would be something nice
- 10. Junkhead by Alice In Chains
the slow, grinding groove of this song was very much like old black sabbath, but with the cool, signature vocal style of layne staley.
- 9. Vasoline by Stone Temple Pilots
short (but sweet) song indeed.
- 8. Tomorrow by Silverchair
always thought this one had that classic rock feel with a fresh approach.
- 7. Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter
song about the televised suicide of R. Budd Dwyer.
- 6. Evenflow by Pearl Jam
timeless track off the album "Ten".
- 5. Got You (Where I Want You) by The Flys
great song by this one hit wonder.
- 4. Eulogy by Tool
with this song, heavy metal takes on new dimensions.
- 3. Vietnow by Rage Against The Machine
very political song about ollie north's radio program, tv evil-angelists, the rodney king beating, and of course, vietnam.
- 2. Lithium by Nirvana
one of the "moodiest" songs ever recorded.
- 1. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
soundgarden will go down in history as one of the most dynamic, clever, and crafty bands of our time, and this song is probably the best example.
By: Jimmy Doan
- 10. Last Beautiful Girl by Matchbox Twenty
Damn Matchbox Twenty is awesome! The lyrics for this song are really great and I love the energy at the end of the song.
- 9. If You're Gone by Matchbox Twenty
Woohoo Matchbox Twenty rocks even more!
- 8. Push by Matchbox Twenty
Woohoo Matchbox Twenty rocks! This song was their first big hit it's awesome!
- 7. Jumper by Third Eye Blind
I love the lyrics for this song and it carries a nice beat
- 6. Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind
This song carries an awesome beat and tune even though its kind of hard to hear the lyrics
- 5. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day
A lot different from all of the rest of their songs but definitely one of their best. I love Green Day!!
- 4. 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
This song is so mellow I love it. It makes you feel so relaxed!
- 3. Lightning Crashes by Live
Probably the best alternative song ever made
- 2. I'll Be Okay by Amanda Marshall
Great song, awesome lyrics. Enough said?
- 1. Hey Jealousy by Gin Blossoms
The best song by an awesome band
There are a ton of other songs from the 90s that were close too--"Jeremy" by Pearl Jam, "Inside Out" by Eve 6, and anything by Alanis Morissette or Sublime or Green Day, and many others. Have a nice day :-)
- 10. Whatever by GodSmack
This is a great song to listen to after an irritatingly long day at work (could be dangerous while driving I've found)
- 9. Enter Sandman by Metallica
I think this is their very best, back in the days of Metallica
- 8. Basket Case by Green Day
Green Day has thier own unique style that has helped shape the 90's
- 7. Self Esteem by Offspring
I couldn't get away with not adding Offspring to the list, a band thats been around for ages and still producing great songs
- 6. 3 AM by Matchbox 20
my personal favorite
- 5. Fight For Your Right by Beastie Boys
one of the greatest if not the best party song
- 4. Whatta Man by Salt 'n' Pepa
an alltime classic from the 90's
- 3. Changes by 2Pac
at the risk of sounding overly cheesy, this song really affects me and make me think
- 2. Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind
I guess you could call it pop-rock, either way its a great song
- 1. Teen Spirit by Nirvana
this song is a given
There are many great bands and songs that I feel should be added to the list that has helped shape the 90's and inspire future artists, and if I included them all, it would take years to get through th list. Teen-pop bands like 'N Sync, BSB, and Brittny Spears would never be include in the list (they lack talent)
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book