What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Bleeding Me by Metallica
Dark song even for Metallica.
- 9. Best Imatation by Ben Folds Five
Great song about peoples expectations of you.
- 8. Motorcycle Driveby by Third Eye Blind
- 7. Our Arrogance by Sublime
40oz. To Freedom was the best CD they recorded.
- 6. Still Remains by Stone Temple Pilots
An under-rated song.
- 5. Angels Of The Silences by Counting Crows
- 4. Alien by Bush
Off of Sixteen Stones. Haunting. The best songs are the ones that never get radio airplay.
- 3. Neena Menasha by Sponge
Off of their debut release, Rotting Pinata. The best song they've recorded.
- 2. Down In A Hole by Alice In Chains
Unfortunately, Facelift did not get any radio play until after Nirvana's Nevermind. Had it been played in 1990 when it was released, we would be saying Layne Staley was the voice of a generation instead of Kurt Cobain. AIC was the most talented and most influential band to come out of the 90's.
- 1. Eulogy by Tool
Listen to the lyrics. You'll never look at Catholicism the same way again.
I tried to base my list on my favorites and by the bands that dominated the 90s. In all seriousness, boy bands, pop princess' and one hit wonder rap tracks really don't belong on these lists. If you know nothing but N'Stink, Backdoor Boys and Brittany Speared, you shouldn't be making a list. You should be reading the lists and trying new music. Not that pre-fab coperate crap they want to shove down your throat.
By: Luis Alberti
- 10. Vote For Love by Tiamat
- 9. Elvenpath by Nightwish
- 8. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
- 7. Changes by Ozzy Orsbourne
- 6. Regular John by Queens Of The Stone Age
- 5. Stay On These Roads by A-ha
- 4. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
- 3. Dinivnity by Amorphis
- 2. Mmmmmm by Crash Test Dummies
- 1. Morning Palace by Dimmu Borgir
By: Eddie Q
- 10. Nuthin but a G Thang by Dr. Dre
- 9. Classic Girl by Jane's Addiction
- 8. Killing in the Name Of by Rage Against the Machines
"F*** You, won't do what you tell me!!!!"
- 7. Pool Shark (acoustic) by Sublime
A tragic song for a tragic death of one of the great ones
- 6. Meet Ze Monster by PJ Harvey
- 5. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- 4. Mayonaise by Smashing Pumkins
I timeless classic
- 3. Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
The track that influenced me the most.
- 2. The Brews by NOFX
NOFX's most energized track. Off of the Punk In Drublic album
- 1. Chorus Vs Chorus (Sappy) by Nirvana
Off of some boots and I think No Alternative album
I do not have this in any order. How can you order up great songs. There is plenty of great music that happened in the 90's and a top ten cannot capture the influence.
- 10. Waterloo Sunset by Kinks
old but get it
- 9. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 8. With or Without You by U2
- 7. Yellow by Coldplay
- 6. Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis
- 5. Whenever I Fall by Crowded House
- 4. Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead
slow but great song
- 3. Adams Song by Blink 182
another high school song
- 2. Good Ridance by Green Day
- 1. High and Dry by Radiohead
By: Jason King
- 10. Shine by Collective Soul
- 9. Blurry by Puddle Of Mudd
- 8. It's Been A While by Staind
- 7. Last Resort by Papa Roach
- 6. Come Down by Bush
- 5. Save Yourself by Stabbing Westward
- 4. One Step Closer by Linkin Park
- 3. What Do I Have To Do by Stabbing Westward
- 2. The Red by Chevelle
- 1. My Friends Over You by New Found Glory
By: Kevin Mcnamara
- 10. Aenema by Tool
Maynard James takes us on another twisted, distorted journey into his twisted, distorted psyche and we come out all for the better... and it rocks.
- 9. Aneurism by Nirvana
Ow... the whole thing is a wrenching, severe experience with wicked dynamics and Kurt at his most pissed. Yee ha!
- 8. Nothin' But A 'g' Thang by Dr. Dre And Snoop Doggy Dogg
This song makes it seem like it would be totally cool to be from the CPT, when everybody knows the LBC is the only 'hood for me! Rock on, Doc
- 7. Stop by Jane's Addiction
From the opening riff onward... you hope that they won't indeed stop... but it rocks every note throughout
- 6. Rearviewmirror by Pearl Jam
Who would have thought that the phrase "rear view mirror" would end up being one of the seminal climaxes in 90s rock? Oh yeah... ROCKS
- 5. You're Makin' Me High by Toni Braxton
Is she actually having intercourse during this song? I think so. In that way I think it rocks.
- 4. Ray Of Light by Madonna
Dance, bitches! Dance! Made dance clubs a legitimate listening experience again in the late nineties... and it rocks
- 3. Sullivan by Caroline's Spine
A history lesson and tear-jerker of a rock tune... yes, it too rocks
- 2. Could Have Lied by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Emotional and bare, with a killer, gutteral solo... and it rocks
- 1. Say It Ain't So by Weezer
This song reaches down deep inside me with its striking dynamics and plaintive expression... and it rocks
By: Charles Hendren
- 10. Hold My Hand by Hootie And The Blowfish
Amazing band; the music goes with any mood and any time! Makes you stop and listen!
- 9. Only God Knows Why by Kid Rock
- 8. When The World Ends by Dave Matthews Band
"I'm gonna tie you up like a baby in a carrage car, your legs dont work cause you want me so you just lie spread." This song IS sex.
- 7. Lightening Crashes by Live
Awesome transition... great song!!
- 6. The Old Appartment by Barenaked Ladies
Great song of nastalgia!
- 5. Bartender by Dave Matthews Band
CATHARSIS!! a total purging of emotion, most interesting and just depressing song ever!
- 4. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
"and when everything feels like the movies, yea you bleed just to know your alive!" awesome!!! brilliance!!
- 3. Bubble Toes by Jack Johnson
Sexy, cathcy, amazing!!
- 2. Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning by Alan Jackson
A great song, raw and emotional, that swept in and helped the healing during a tragic time.
- 1. Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band
Dave is the greatest, this song is Dave's greatest. A catchy, mellow, thought-provoking piece of popular music that will hook anyone.
Dave, Jack Johnson, Hootie and The Blowfish, Goo Goo Dolls, Pearl Jam... thank you for keeping rock alive in the 90's contrasted with pop sh*t like Britney Spears and N'Sync... and not to mention the shallow rock of nirvana, metallica, and other punk.
- 10. Two Princes by Spin Doctors
I don't hear as much about this song as some others, but it has to be on this list. Quite a catchy tune.
- 9. Unforgiven by Metallica
What can I say? Metallica, and this song, simply rule.
- 8. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio
I'm not that big on rap, but this is a classic. Check out Wierd Al's parody.
- 7. Under the Bride by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
If only this song wasn't asoociated with that pit Los Angeles.
- 6. Nothin Else Matters by Metallica
Another great one from the Mighty Mets. A little different beat than their norm, but for the better.
- 5. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
I haven't even heard this one in a while but still remember how great it is.
- 4. November Rain by Guns & Roses
12 minutes and 29 seconds of pure bliss.
- 3. Turn the Page by Metallica
Metallica has so many great songs, their #1 is tough, but this song just rocks.
- 2. Losing My Religion by R.E.M.
I could listen to it over and over. Best combination of sound and meaningful lyrics.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
By the looks of this site, the consensus is that this song is unquestionably the greatest of the decade. Critics claim the lyrics are imperceptible, but if one listens closely they can be understood, and even if not, the sound alone is enough to make it #1.
I recommend most anything from Metallica, Guns & Roses, or Nirvana if you're into 90's music. Some other people on this site have said this, but I will reiterate: Anyone who thinks the Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, 98 Degrees, Britney Spaers, Cristina Aguilera, or any other such group from that Fluff n' Stuff late-90's era belongs on this list is not only ignorant, but immature and asinine.
By: Shontelle O'connor
- 10. Country Grammar by Nelly
another good tune!
- 9. If You Like Pina Coladas! by Jimmy Buffet
I love this song!! its soo fun to sing to...especially with a buncha girls on a rd trip! ever seen the Sweetest thing?? lol Good times good times
- 8. 4am Or Clumsy by Olp
Both amazing songs....as are all of their songs...a great band ..I love em!
- 7. Shook Me All Night Long by Acdc
This song will go down in history!!! great party song!
- 6. Cotton Eyed Joe by The Rednex
what can i say...great hick song! great for the dances YEHAW! LOL
- 5. I Will Buy You A New Life by Everclear
great song that never gets old...they have a lotta great tunes
- 4. Friends In Low Places by Garth Brooks
No dance would ever be complete without it! and besides who needs a cheatin guy when u can go drink ur sorrows away with the friends in low places lol...
- 3. Lightning Crahes by Live
Its a great song...kinda sad..and symbolic.
- 2. Fishin'in The Dark by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Great song for the country 105 video dances is in keene! LOL
- 1. Good Riddance(time Of Your Life) by Green Day
I just love this song...Lotsa great memories to this one, this one never gets old...lol Oh ya Sittin around the campfire! This ones for you jen!:P
Hm Blur-Song 2...Great Tune!, Tim Mcgraw-Something Like That..Its so true!,Darryl worly-i miss my friend..sniffsniff,haha....uh there are sooooo many good ones...lots of good ones from everclear..Olp...eminem...the one hit wonder...from vanilla ice-ice ice baby LOL...Im from the Country-tracy byrd. lots from garth, tim mcgraw adn allan jackson. oh well everyone just enjoy ur music and keep it real! lol country music is good regardless of whay u may think...u needa little variety in ur selection..besides HICKS KNOW HOW TO PARTY!!! (Go Keeners!) Love y'all!
By: Alan Gibbons
- 10. Ultra Sonic by Annihilating Rythmn
Well i cant very well have a top ten without one of my favourite rave bands of all time. The first album i bought was the acid circus EP, Excellent stuff if you are a fan of rave musc, oh and by the way Scooters new stuff isnt as good as the stuff he had out at the same time as this song.
- 9. Mr Vain by Culture Beat
another dance song that i learned all the words to the rap part and repeated constantly, Another great dance classic!
- 8. Get Ready For This by 2 Unlimited
i was a big techno/rave fan in my younger days and this song got my foot tapping every time i heard it, it was played in the only school disco i went to and everyone was on the dancefloor for this one. A dance classic!
- 7. Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry
the first neneh cherry song i heard and still my favourite to this day, although manchild and seven seconds come close this one just nicks it.
- 6. T.u.r.t.l.e. Power by Partners In Kryme
well i was a big fan of the teenage mutant ninja turtles when i was younger and although i cant remember which film this one was in i was still a cool song
- 5. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Rock music wasnt my first love which is why one of the best rock songs of all time is position number 5, they were the first and best rock band i have listened to and i was saddened to hear when Kurt died as im sure a lot of other people were. This is by far their best song. Kurt cobain Rest In Peace.
- 4. No Diggity by Blackstreet
one of the few songs away from the gangsta rap and hip hop scene that i liked and a bit of dre goes a long way in any song
- 3. Groove Is In The Heart by Dee-lite
a very nice funky dance tune that i played over and over, and i had a crush on the girl in the video, and i also had a good laff at the guy doing all the dancing, sad!.
- 2. U Cant Touch This by Mc Hammer
the only reason i relegated this song to second place is because of a very silly pair of very very baggy trousers that he should have been ashamed of wearing but hey, its still a great old song.
- 1. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
This was a hard one to decide, Vanilla ice or MC Hammer but i went for this because i know every single word and he has the funniest name i have ever heard (Robert Van Winkle)
As you can tell i really liked the cheesy stuff that was out in the early 90s, but i dont care because this was in my opinion when all the best music of my time was made. you can also see that i have a very wide range of musical tastes from when i was younger, Tecno/Rave, Rap, pop, Rock and others that even experts probably couldnt classify. Im 23 years old so that might give you a clue as to why i picked these songs and why one of the cheesiest of all time is sitting at number one.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book