What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
By: Roehl Lanuza
- 10. I WIll Buy You A New Life by Everclear
- 9. Zombie by The Cranberries
- 8. Frozen by Madonna
- 7. Justify My Love by Madonna
- 6. How You've Grown by 10000 Maniacs
- 5. Machinehead by Bush
- 4. Father To Son by Phil Collins
- 3. So Cruel by U2
- 2. Burn by Tina Arena
- 1. Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor
the ultimate love song!!!
special mention: Dancing And Singing - Color It Red
By: Sean in England
- 10. Slight Return by The Bluetones
Best thing they ever did by a country mile.
- 9. I Spy by Pulp
"I can't help it: I was dragged up, My favourite parks are car parks, Grass is something you smoke, Birds are something you shag, Take your Year In Provence and shove it up your arse". Alright, so I wasn't dragged up, but anyone who grew up in the Thatcher years will get the drift.
- 8. Don't Cry by Guns 'N' Roses
I sang this on the karaoke machine in "The World Cup Asian Fun Bar" in Abidjan. Scored a 98% rating, even though I'd never heard it before. Subsequently bought the CD on a trip to Bangkok (see also #1) but have never reprised the vocal. You had to be there.
- 7. Oh Lucky You by The Lightning Seeds
Ian Broudie writes near perfect 3 minute pop songs. (He also collaborated, although not on this one, with Terry Hall - see #5). Oh Lucky Us.
- 6. 15 Years by The Levellers
When compiling this list it's done from #1 to #10. But when you read it you'll see it from #10 to #1. So I don't yet know what I've written before you got to this but as you'll see from what follows, I had electric soup for lunch. So a song about an alcoholic seemed fitting. And as Graham Greene might have said, "Brighton Rock".
- 5. Forever J by Terry Hall
From his solo LP "Home". If anyone read and took a blind bit of notice of my list for the 80s, they'd have bought this by now. Did you? I thought not. If you're a Brit, then do yourself a favour and buy it/steal it/ask for it for Xmas. If you're not a Brit then you probably won't get the point anyway.
- 4. There She Goes by The La's
In praise of heroin or simply a love song? Lee Mavers recently claimed the latter. But who cares when it's such gorgeous song.
- 3. You Only Get What You Want by New Radicals
Good attitude mate. Also explains why the US gets successively duff Presidents.
- 2. I Think the Answer's Yes by The Beautiful South
Subvert and stay real. "So to a world without hunger, where royalty face death. To the burning of the Stock Exchange, the bombing of the press. I think the answer's YES".
- 1. Roses in the Hospital/Yes/Little Baby Nothing by The Manic Street Preachers
Could have been any Manics song - they were THE band of the 90s. Yeah, I heard that Nirvana were a bit popular too but if you're a Brit then these boys were like having The Clash back with us. Except 15 years on. And Welsh. The first two of these songs didn't get on the Greatest Hits, even though the sub-title of that CD was Forever Delayed, a line from "Roses". "Yes" rocks - I'm sorry, that was hardly a phrase for an English chappie. "Yes" reminds me of a particularly debauched weekend I had in Bangkok a few years ago. Is that better? And that line "Culture, alienation, boredom and despair" from LBN sums up the whole raison d'etre for Rock and Roll.
On another day the following might have crept in: Don't Speak by No Doubt; No Surprises by Radiohead; Teen Spirit (but why bother when everyone else has it down anyway); Born Slippy by Underworld; The Drugs Don't Work by The Verve; Toledo by Elvis Costello & Bert Bacharach; Trash by Suede; and tracks from Paul Weller, Garbage, Ocean Colour Scene, and The Lemonheads. Apologies to any great artists that I've forgotten. You won't know who you are but I might remember when I sober up.
- 10. More Human Then Human by White Zombie
White Zombie was im my definitiion one of the best 90's metal bands i have ever heard. This song makes anyones heart start pumpin for metal
- 9. Fell on The Black Days by Sound Garden
Sound Garden was just nothing but awesome, they will be missed.
- 8. 1979/zero/Love/Tonight/bullet with butterfly wings by Smashing Pumpkins
Sorry they just made so many good songs on that albumb(s).
- 7. Change by Blind Melon
BLind Melon was to me an interesting mix of music. They had a very free flowing music style. Most of the 90's music i remember was a lot of grunge and stuff but blind melon always seemed to stand out.
- 6. Would by Alice In Chains
These Guys were so amazing and inspiring. Layne Stanley will be missed
- 5. Rape Me by Nirvana
Nirvana was the start of a new generation of teens. They were the very first to start grunge and they will always be known for the milestone they created in music
- 4. Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Stone Temple Pilots WAS SOOOOOOO GOOD!, Plush is one of the best cruisin down the road songs EVER!
- 3. Cemetary Gates by Pantera
These guys are still rockin and rockin hard. Cemetary Gates was a interesting song because it showed Phill's ability to sing rather then to scream and he mixed both stlyes very well in this song. Pantera is a true definition of a metal band. I didn't put metallica on here becuase they suck now and i will not forgive them for there treachery.
- 2. Trust by Megadeth
when cryptic writtings came out i was awed at how good it was. I never listiend to megadeth before them and i always thought they sucked because i thought they were a wannabe metallica because dave mustaine was a sore loser.... how wrong i was. Megadeth in my opinion are much better then metallica and if it wasn't for dave's unfortunate nerve problem megadeth would still be around and kickin.
- 1. Black by Pearl Jam
I Think Black is one of the most beautifully written songs i have ever heard. Pearl Jam stormed the 90's with there metal/grunge influence. What made them different from so many that tried? There songs possesed amazing song structure and i don't think anyone can mummble sing like eddie veddar. His own style of singing was extremely cool. Also many of his songs possesed lyrics that were actually good for a change. Pearl Jam is very likely to be my favorite 90's band. They are also still touring and producing more rocking music.
By: Cordi Montserrat
- 10. The Kids Arent Alright by The Offspring
- 9. Lovefool by The Cramberries
- 8. I Will Survive by Cake
- 7. Zombie by The Cramberries
- 6. Dont Speak by No Doubt
- 5. No Rain by Blind Mellon
- 4. Mariposa Technicolor by Fito Paez (argentina)
- 3. Bittersweet Symph. by The Verbe
- 2. Basket Case by Green Day
- 1. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns & Roses
One of the greatest bands of the early 90s
- 10. Killin In The Name by Rage Against The Machine
I was a teenager...
- 9. I Wanna Sex You Up by Color Me Bad
in that period in the beginning of the 90's where "sex" was everywhere
- 8. All That She Wants by Ace Of Base
dance music on the dance floor !!
- 7. Ready Or Not by The Fugees
introduction to rap music, beautiful song....
- 6. Come As You Are by Nirvana
best of grunge
- 5. Insomnia by Faithless
could dance all night long in the mid 90's with this one
- 4. Girls & Boys by Blur
the best of english pop
- 3. Don't Cry by Guns N'roses
- 2. Spaceman by Babylon Zoo
...or how to introduce electronic music to fans of rock
- 1. Loosing My Religion by Rem
- 10. Ironic by Alanis Morrisette
Love her or hate her it's a song everone will remember
- 9. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
Try not to cry...
- 8. Have You Ever by Brandy
- 7. My Favorite Mistake by Sheryl Crowe
- 6. Down With The Sickness by Disturbed
Ever tried to make the sound?
- 5. Fresh Prince Theme Song by Will Smith
Who doesn't know all the lyrics to this??
- 4. Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls by Tlc
THE song of the mid 90s
- 3. 3 Am by Matchbox 20
You could probably put any Matchbox 20 song here, face it they're one of the best bands of the late 90s.
- 2. I'm A Bitch by Merideth Brooks
Who doesn't know and love this?
- 1. Killing Me Softly by Fugees
Ever notice how when this song comes on everone stops what they're doing and sings along?
- 10. Poor Fractured Atlas by Elvis Costello & The Attractions
- 9. Stumbleine by The Smashing Pumpkins
- 8. Nearly Lost You by The Screaming Trees
- 7. Bodies by The Smashing Pumpkins
- 6. Verse Chorus Verse by Nirvana
- 5. Seascape by Antihero
- 4. What Would The Community Think? by Cat Power
This is misleading because there IS a song by Cat Power under this title. However, I am speaking of the entire album. I haven't found one song on this album that is absolutely outstanding, without being unfair to the others. As a whole, this is among my favorite albums of all time. Anyone who likes music should immediately find this album. Released in 1996 by Matador Records.
- 3. Black Gold by Soul Asylum
- 2. Oh, The Guilt by Nirvana
- 1. Mayonaise by The Smashing Pumpkins
Too many people seem to be doing the Top 10 Songs You've Heard On The Radio Too Many Times. So, I'll do a few you may never have heard of. And they might all seem to come from the same period and movement (early '90s alternative), but only because that's the only good music (for the most part) that I got out of the 90s.
- 10. Changes by 2pac
Not 2pac's best but it is a song that most people relate to.
- 9. Ring Ring Ring by De La Soul
You would be suprised how many answering machines actually have this song.
- 8. Regulate by Warren G
I love this song.
- 7. My Name Is by Eminem
Whos that white guy? This started it all for Eminem
- 6. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
Depressing I know. But dont act like u didnt like this song
- 5. Gin and Juice by Snoop Doggy Dogg
Snoop D O double G brought back the strong influence of Rap Music in the 90's
- 4. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
A great song from a great band
- 3. This Is How We Do It by Montel Jordan
definetly the best R&B song of the 90's in my opinion
- 2. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio
A song that everyone know's and likes
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
A great song. People will still be listening to this in years to come
Well I had a shot.
- 10. Let You go by ATB
- 9. L'Amour Toujours by Gigi D'Agostino
- 8. Push it! by StaticX
- 7. Dragula by Rob Zombie
- 6. Juden Hasst by Rammstein
- 5. Closer to God by Nine Inch Nails [NIN]
- 4. Bled for Days by StaticX
- 3. Down With The Sickness by Disturbed
- 2. Clubbed To Death by Rob D
- 1. Clubbed To Death II by Rob D
- 10. So Whatcha Want? by Beastie Boys
- 9. Bulls On Parade by Rage Against The Machine
- 8. Paranoid Android by Radiohead
- 7. Perfect Drug by Nine Inch Nails
- 6. Pretty Noose by Soundgarden
- 5. Jimmy The Exploder by The White Stripes
- 4. Sabotage by Beastie Boys
- 3. In Bloom by Nirvana
- 2. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
- 1. Buddy Holly by Weezer
Great rock song, great video.. great everything
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book