What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Barely Breathing by Duncan Sheik
i loved this song soo much! and i remember watching the video when i was younger
- 9. Loser by Beck
i love beck and this is a song everyone knows
- 8. Just Go Ahead Now by Spin Doctors
i heard this song on the radio the other day, which compelled me to find other 90's songs i liked
- 7. Fresman by Verve Pipe
- 6. Come As You Are by Nirvana
nirvana pretty much defines the 90's
- 5. Free Falling by Tom Petty
- 4. Iris by Live
i dont know many people who know about live.. but i love them
- 3. Breakfast At Tiffanys by Deep Blue Something
i just love this song
- 2. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirt by Nirvana
classic...need i say more
- 10. The Boy Is Mine by Brandy And Monica
- 9. Ready Or Not by Fugees
- 8. Return Of The Mack by Mark Morrison
should i have mentioned that one!!!!
- 7. Ive Got A Little Something For You by Mn8
blast from the past??
- 6. Finally by Cece Peniston
- 5. Show Me Love by Robin S
making you dance yet??!!
- 4. Two Can Play That Game by Bobby Brown
- 3. I'll C U When U Get There by Coolio
cant believe this song was 4gotten!!
- 2. I Got 5 On It by Luniz
- 1. All My Life by Kci &jojo
is every body into rock on here or what??!!
- 10. Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails
"head like a hole! black as your soul!" yes, love it, of course
- 9. Freak On A Leash by Korn
"something takes a part of me...you and i are(were?) meant to be...."
- 8. November Rain by Guns 'n Roses
i would have put sweet child o mine but that was in the 80s. still though, this is a great song and a legendary video w/ slash playing his guitar on axl's piano.
- 7. Creep by Radiohead
got played out but i really love this song. "i want you to notice when i'm not around. your so f*cking special. i wish i was special"
- 6. Good Riddence by Green Day
amazing ballad from an awesome group. although they did kinda sell out, this is one of their best songs. played at every prom and graduation (well, it should be)
- 5. Suck My Kiss by Red Hot Chili Peppers
very catchy. "sweet sacred bliss, your mouth was made to suck my kiss" just plain rocks.
- 4. Man In A Box by Alice In Chains
sadly, ive just recently discovered how good this song was. i havent listened to these guys for a long time and honestly dont know many of their others. i love this one though.
- 3. Nothing Else Matters/enter Sandman by Metallica
couldn't decide. enter sandman for their guitar riffs and that famous "hey hey hey". nothing else matters for the incredible lyrics and emotional voice
- 2. Alive by Pearl Jam
i love this song so much and at random parts of the day will just find myself quietly singing the beginning part to it. "son, she said, have i got a little story for you..."
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
although this isn't my favorite song by them, i have to admit it was the most influential. the opening guitar riff is one the the best and most reconizable in music history. other great songs by them: in bloom, breed, where did you sleep last night (although it was a rendition), heart shaped box, come as you are, polly, serve the servents, silver, the list goes on and on.
this list is basically everything you've heard before. i wrote it mainly to get out this message: i am personally embarrassed for anyone who puts hanson, backstreet boys, nsync, britney spears, or any of those other "musicians". 1) true musicians play their own instruments and write their own music. these "musicians" just go in and record their voice, which is then changed so it sounds pretty. 2) if you say these people had the best songs of the 90s, you need to get out and listen to some more decent music. or you're 13. listen to some metallica. or nirvana. or guns 'n roses. i know you can do it. sorry if this seems a little mean. it just really annoys me when i see mmmbop at the top of the list.
- 10. God Of Wine by Third Eye Blind
Third Eye Blind just keeps getting better with each album. Third Eye Blind is one of the best song writers ever. Their lyrics are filled with common words that are easy to relate to yet sound as poetic as a Frost Line to the background of some of the finest slow rock beats.
- 9. Alive by Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam is one of the greatest bands of the 90's. It was a toss up between Alive, Jeremy, and Black. Check out the entire Ten album from 1991. It is what true rock music sounds like.
- 8. The Twistinside by Everclear
Everclear captures growing up and facing the music. One of the leaders of true rock music in the 90's. Despite Art's current change in style (can you say sell-out), Everclear will always be one of my favorites.
- 7. I Walk Alone by Oleander
I Walk Alone describes the pathetic yet persistent attitude that can only come form being alone. It's a self pitty song with attitude that everone feels like singing at some time in their life.
- 6. My Hero by Foo Fighters
Filled with powerful music, easily The Foo Fighters Best Song. My Hero is the rock anthem for the 90's.
- 5. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
It wouldn't be the 90's without The Peppers. This slow dreary song ends with a powerful chant that get's your blood flowing.
- 4. What's This Life For by Creed
Possibly of the best songs ever, Creed sings about the things that we all are too afraid to talk about.
- 3. Lightning Crashes by Live
A 90's classic. Everyone knows it, everyone loves it.
- 2. The World I Know by Collective Soul
Collective Soul is one of the best at combining great music with great lyrics. Their albums are all full of the highest quality music you can find.
- 1. 4 AM by Our Lady Peace
Number one for the 90's. 4AM is a beautiful melody filled with emotional lyrics everyone can feel.
This was very hard to pick the top ten songs of the 90's. I think I would need to add about 90 more songs before I would feel good about my list. The 90's were full of mediocre bands and the beginning of the meaningless, empty pop music. But the 90's are also full of great music that will remain some of the greates songs of all time. Nick
- 10. Ultra Violet by Babes in Toyland
- 9. Doll Parts by Hole
- 8. Ironic by Alanis Morisette
- 7. Buddy Holly by Weezer
- 6. Alive by Pearl Jam
- 5. Creep by Radiohead
- 4. Just A Girl by No Doubt
- 3. Losing My Religion by REM
- 2. Loser by Beck
People may consider Beck a "one-hit-wonder", nonetheless, loser was one of the top songs of the 90's.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Smells Like Teen Spirit was a major hit, and marked the beggining of the 90's grunge era.
- 10. Round Here by Counting Crows
a great band!! and adam puts on a great show!! august and everything after rocked my world! "would you catch me if i was falling, kiss me if i was leaving, hold me cause im lonely without you??.."
- 9. Burn One Down by Ben Harper
Ben Harper's song are perfect for those nights just sittin around chillin with your friends.. when you're burning one down ;)
- 8. Crush by Dave Matthews Band
DAVE J. MATTHEWS is a God! need i say more?
- 7. Crazy Game Of Poker by Oar
o.a.r is a great band, who put on amazing shows full of catchy and energetic songs- and this one tops them all!
- 6. Firecracker by Ryan Adams
ryan adams is amazing and this song proves it!
- 5. Save Yourself by Sense Field
a great song, the lyrics remind you of whats really important and sacred when you are in a time that nothing seems important and sacred.
- 4. Shine by Collective Soul
heaven let your lights shine down.
- 3. Runaway Train by Soul Asylum
amazing song-- everyone knows it and loves it!
- 2. Everything by Stereofuse
great song full of memories..
- 1. Wonderwall by Oasis
"there are many things id like to say to you but i dont know how..." --how much more real does it get?
By: nate S
- 10. Inside Out by Eve 6
- 9. Jumper by Third Eye Blind
best anti-sucide song to date
- 8. Lithium by Nirvana
They're still good though
- 7. Say it ain't So by Weezer
Best song from a great band
- 6. Savior by Red Hot Chili Peppers
this in the underdog
- 5. Live Forever by Oasis
They were the best, listen!
- 4. Wonderwall by Oasis
Oasis were the best band of the ninties (not Nirvana!)
- 3. Changes by 2 Pac
what a song to go out on
- 2. Good Riddance by Green Day
just really good
- 1. Slide Away by Oasis
Best Love song ever, if you learn it on guitar the chix will fall for ya!
Honorable Mention: Brick by Ben Folds Five, Slide by the Goo Goo Dolls, Pocket Full of Shells by Rage against the Machine I truely believe Oasis was the best band of the ninties, Green Day and weezer were also top
- 10. Hold Thrill Me Kiss me Kill me by U2
This one brough U2 back to the top...
- 9. Du hast by Rammstein
They Shocked the world with this song...
- 8. Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz
There could be arguments if it's his best song...
- 7. Freak On a Leash by KoRn
I remember a day that Freak on a leash was played so f**king many times...(and it wasnt KoRn day or anything like that)
- 6. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Directly off blood sex sugar magik...
- 5. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
Maybe not one of the best but it sure made quite a premiere back there.
- 4. Zombie by The Crannberries
1 word...Shocking vocals
- 3. Creep by Radiohead
This is one of the best grunge/alternative songs ever written
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 1. Enter Sandman by Metallica
The Best song ever made Im my opinion.
Now this is a ROCK top 10 so...(I can mension other great songs wich can be in a top 20 or even in here....like Coolio's gangsta paradise, Red Hot Chili Peppers - californication, metallica - nothing else matters, nirvana - in bloom , radiohead - karma police/paranoid android etc...
- 10. Creepin On Ah Come Up by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Yes I am a BTNH fan.
- 9. Notorious Thugs by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
A combination of BTNH & Notorious BIG
- 8. Thug Luv by Bone Thug-N-Harmony
A combination of BTNH & 2Pac
- 7. Ruff Ryders Anthem by DMX
Love the beat of this song
- 6. 1st Of The Month by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
- 5. Mo' Murda by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Has VERY VERY NICE RAPPING IN THIS SONG.
- 4. Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find by 2Pac
Good Song Period.
- 3. The Crossroads by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Very good touching rap song.
- 2. Ambitionz Az A Ridah by 2Pac
Has very good rap in this song.
- 1. Resurrection (Paper, Paper) by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Kind of like crossroads
By: Graham Chisholm
- 10. Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana
Beautiful, meaningful, painful.
- 9. Nothingman by Pearl Jam
Sad but still a great tune.
- 8. 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Gotta throw some pumpkins in here and this song to me defined youth.
- 7. Bones and Joints/ Quicksand by Finger Eleven
They're a Canadian band that got more airplay after their 2003 hit "One Thing" I hate that song but all of their other stuff rules.
- 6. When I come Around by Green Day
Just a great song by a band who owned a small period of popular music in the 90s.
- 5. Everlong by Foo Fighters
Just a great rock song by the master of the drums who's slowly becoming a guitar master.
- 4. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
- 3. Wonderwall by Oasis
This was huge. Great song written by a pretty dam good band.
- 2. Screaming Trees by Nearly Lost You
Maybe it shouldn't be this high but i love this song.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
This song changed everything. Say what you will, like them/him or not Nirvana and Kurt left an indelible impression in music history.
I like alot of different stuff from the 90s. I love the grunge (nirvana, soundgarden, screaming trees) Then i also like Green and some of the softer bands (tonic, gin blossoms, toad the wet sprocket)
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book