What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
What can I say, the pefect song for Gen X and how we felt growing up in a society that pretty much gave up on us. Go Eddie Vedder and co.!
- 9. Time by Hootie and the Blowfish
Wow, this classic college song was a fav by people everywhere in Southern Illinois! To this day, a song I can sing along to on the road. :)
- 8. Always into Somethin by N.W.A.
One of the first gangsta artists I was exposed to in the 90s. This little tune got me into rap BIG time and told it how it was for us folk livin in da hood. Thanks guys for giving us a voice to BE HEARD!
- 7. Come As You Are by Nirvana
To this day, a ROCK on song that defied a generation! Thank you Kurt and co. for sticking up for us and may your soul rest in peace. We love and miss ya Kurt Cobain! :*(
- 6. Estranged by Guns n` Roses
This very long anthem was a classic from the get go! I remember the video and Axel and boys doing this one live as Ax is walking through his past life in a lost state of mind. (condos, fancy cars, dolphins) My best friend loves this song very much too and she and I agree that GnR kicked major butt with this tune. The ending is so fun to sing along to and the meaning behind the song, priceless. Thanks fellas for this rockin track to the legendary Use Your IIlusion II, my fav GnR album! :)
- 5. Martina McBride by Wild Angels
Any fan out there of beautiful woman knows what this song means! I mean, angels watching over us (laughs as he thinks about his first encounter with Martina) ooooooooooooh...I was so nervous! She's a great soul, small, petite and a voice that is as powerful as the angels she sings of. :)
- 4. Oasis by Wonderwall (Unplugged)
This highly anticipated concert was said to be Oasis's last performace together. Brothers Noel and Liam (who sat out the concert with a sore throat and Noel played and did vocals) added to the contraversy that Oasis was pretty much DEAD. Well, not a chance as Noel stole the show with this song and gave NEW life to the band, who a yera later, released their 3rd album, 'Be Here Now.' Thanks guys for giving me plenty of songs to sing on my way to class!
- 3. Pink Floyd by Lost for Words
This song from the legendary 1994 album 'Division Bell' served as a reminder that sometimes life eats away at our soul and no matter how much you try to be a nice person, you will always be stepped on by someone else. Floyd defined many generations after they hit it big in the US in the 70s. One of the GREATEST bands ever and I know plenty of people to back that claim up. :)
- 2. Steve Wariner by Holes in the Floor of Heaven
When I heard this song way back in the 90s on the radio, I shead a tear because it hit close to home for me. My ex-gf at the time lost her g-ma and was devestated. This song always reminds me of her and the time I sung it to her and she cried like a baby. Even though its a very sad song, it brings a smile on my face to know that in death, those we love most are always watching over us. Thanks Steve for this reminder. :D
- 1. One by U2
For me, this song spoke to many people in all forms of life. The 'Acthung Baby' album was, in my opinion, U2s 2nd BEST album behind 'The Joshua Tree.' In this song, Bono expresses that no matter who we are, where we come from, rich or poor, black or white (or brown in my case) we bleed one kind of color, the HUMAN RACE color. That's right, the lyrics, 'one love, one blood' to me, this is by far the BEST 'we need to love each other for who we are not what we are' songs ever made. Bono and the boys gained my respect and admirmation with this one. Thanks guys for giving the people a song that can teach future generations that a little love can solve any crisis, any war, any conflict. :)
By: Paul L
- 10. Everybody Knows (Except You) by Divine Comedy, The
A very unusual voice, but somehow it works
- 9. One Week by Barenaked Ladies, The
More of that definitive sound the 90's produced. Somewhere between cheery and sad, upbeat and slow, noisy and quiet.
- 8. You & Me Song by Wannadies, The
"the weeks not yet begun and everything is quiet and it's always YOU AND ME ALWAYS AND FOREVER, YOU AND ME ALWAYS AND FOREVER" The transition from quiet melody to upbeat indie music and back is genius.
- 7. Smile by Supernaturals, The
You just can't help but sing along..."you better smile, smile, smile, smile, smile, smile, smile, smile, smile"!!!!
- 6. Local Boy In A Photograph by Stereophonics, The
Such a poignant song, one of the lesser known tracks by one of the best bands to emerge from the 90's
- 5. You're Gorgeous by Babybird
"Remember that tank top you bought me?" Indeed, indeed. A unique song played so much at the time but is sadly now all but forgotten
- 4. Breakfast At Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something
One hit wonder, but what a hit. The definitive song of my youth
- 3. My Favourite Game by Cardigans, The
About as good as indie/rock music gets
- 2. Roll To Me by Del Amitri
The song just flows perfect, such a great sound
- 1. The Universal by Blur
The best band of the 90's with my personal favourite.
Undoubtedly there have been better songs in the 90's, but for me this collection is the epitemy of my youth and how my musical tastes developed.
- 10. Everybody Hurts by Rem
- 9. Oasis by Supersonic
give me gin and tonic!
- 8. Come As You Are by Nirvana
makes u think
- 7. Live Forever by Oasis
shoudda been on morning glory
- 6. Traffic by Stereophoncs
best song they've done
- 5. Lucky Man by Verve
- 4. Blur by Song 2
- 3. Champagne Supernova by Oasis
7 and a half minutes soundling like 3
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
a tune you can't get tired of
- 1. Whatever by Oasis
classis classic classic
- 10. I Want it That Way by Backstreet Boys
- 9. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 8. Victory by Notorious B.I.G., Puff Daddy, Busta Rhymes
- 7. Bullet With Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins
- 6. California Love by Tupac, Dre
- 5. Glycerine by Bush
- 4. Freak on a Leash by KoRn
- 3. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 2. Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
- 1. Wonderwall by Oasis
For choosing this list, I went by not only songs that I loved in the 90's, but ones that continue to be classics and influence artists today. This really is the list of the top 10 90's songs... all a little depressive, but all the absolute shit.
- 10. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by Elton John and George Michael
Maybe one of the best duets ever. And, still, I'm not being fair to a bunch of songs.
- 9. Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson
I liked the dance version, but he made a new song.
- 8. Creep by Radiohead
I know they've made other great things, as Fake Plastic Trees and OK Computer, but this one just comes above all!
- 7. Crazy by Aerosmith
May I get a little emotional?
- 6. Mr Jones by Counting Crows
This was one of the most played songs in Brazil in the nineties!
- 5. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette
She the only of her kind.
- 4. Always On The Run by Lenny Kravitz
Nothing beats his beat!
- 3. Soul to Squeeze by Red Hot Chili Peppers
In a more personal choice of the song, I make it fair for the californian band.
- 2. Losing My Religion by REM
Just takes you over!
- 1. Lithium by Nirvana
Adds up Kiss From a Rose (SEAL), Waterfalls (TLC), I'll be Missing You (Puff Daddy?), Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers), November Rain (Guns), Breathe (Prodigy), I'm the Only One (Melissa Etheridge)...
- 10. I Love The Way You Love Me by John Michael Montgomery
- 9. We Danced Anyways by Deana Carter
- 8. Let That Be Enough by Switchfoot
- 7. Safe In The Arms of Love by Martina McBride
- 6. I'll BeThere by Mariah Carey/Jackson 5
- 5. Your Body's A Wonderland by John Mayer
- 4. Forgive by Rebecca Lyn Howard
- 3. I'm Not Supposed To Love You Anymore by Brian White
- 2. I Wanna Love You Forever by Jessica Simpson
- 1. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
- 10. Love Buzz by Nirvana
Also on blech , not by kurt though :(
- 9. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
Matt cameron rulezzzzzzzz
- 8. About A Girl by Nirvana
On the blech album is my favorite song dedicated to kurt girlfriend it's not a 90's song but it's 89's ! :)
- 7. Civil War by Guns N' Roses
In my first memories the shot kennedy !!!! I like this song!
- 6. November Rain by Guns N' Roses
Great , 9 mins of passion
- 5. Hate The Police by Mudhoney
Why ? dont you hate those f**kin pigs ?
- 4. Lithium by Nirvana
I'm so happy cause today I found nirvana
- 3. Lake Of Fire by Meat Puppets
It's a nice one but I like it most with kurt singing on mtv unplugged
- 2. Unforgiven 1 by Metallica
One of the best albums of all times , black album
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Energy pure energy
Let's seeeeee !! oh and polly too , and molly's lips and alive and oh me and ohhhhhhh , there are so many good songs out there how can someone say just 10 , I say we make it 100 !!!!!!!!!!!
- 10. Black by Pearl Jam
- 9. Satalite by Dave Matthew's Band
- 8. Possum Kingdom by The Toadies
- 7. King Of New Orleans by Better Than Ezra
- 6. The Freshmen by The Verve Pipe
- 5. Santeria by Sublime
- 4. Innocent by Fuel
- 3. Asking For It by Hole
- 2. Black And Blue by Counting Crows
- 1. Run To The Water by Live
By: Double Kizzle
- 10. Don't Speak by No Doubt
- 9. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 8. Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger
- 7. Peaches by Presidents of the USA
- 6. Anthem by Blink 182
- 5. Roots Radicals by Rancid
- 4. The Kids Arn't Alright by The Offspring
- 3. What I got by Sublime
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 1. Basket Case by Green Day
- 10. Loser by Beck
This video was definitly strange.....
- 9. Little Miss Can't Be Wrong by Spin Doctors
Lil' miss lil' miss lil' miss can't be wrong.....
- 8. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
- 7. I Saw The Sign by Ace Of Base
One hit wonder.....
- 6. Motown Philly by Boys 2 Men
I'm sorry but no matter who you are you try so sing the lyrics.....
- 5. Everybody Hurts by R.e.m.
You know you like this song.....
- 4. I Get Knocked Down by Chambawamba
God, I hate this song but It's so damn catchy.....
- 3. Runaway Train by Soul Asylum
You know the video made you shed a tear.....
- 2. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm by Crash Test Dummies
I hate when people hate this song.....
- 1. Undone by Weezer
If you want to destroy my sweater.....
These songs are not in any type of order. It was hard enough picking 10.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book