What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Karma Police by Radiohead
Radiohead is one if indie-rock's pioneers, except for Sonic Youth. This song is awesome.
- 9. Come As You Are by Nirvana
Obviously Nirvana has to be on any 90's list, and I think that this song is better than "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
- 8. No Rain by Blind Melon
The way this song was presented on SNL is mainly why it's on here.
- 7. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town by Pearl Jam
Everyone says "Jeremy" is the greatest song by Vedder & Co, but I beg to differ. Just look at that title!
- 6. Long December by Counting Crows
Counting Crows was an awesome band that was essentially made by Lorne Michaels of SNL. This, to me, is their best song.
- 5. Tomorrow by Stone Temple Pilots
This band was just as important to grunge as Nirvana. I'll get a lot of arguments on that, but I think it's true.
- 4. Rat in a Cage by Smashing Pumpkins
I still remember watching the video in second grade with the guy in the ZERO shirt.
- 3. Let Her Cry by Hootie And The Blowfish
I get looks when I say this, but I still think Hootie is an awesome band.
- 2. I Alone by Live
A great, heartfelt song by a great band from Central PA that was never heard of or from again, at least to my knowledge.
- 1. Losing My Religion by REM
The qunitessential song on fame and fortune eroding one's inner character. One of music's most important songs to this day.
"Push" by Matchbox Twenty, "When I Come Around" by Green Day, "All For You" by Sister Hazel, "Runaround" by Blues Traveler, "Sex And Candy" by Marcy Playground, "What A Word You Say" by Dave Matthews Band, "Closing Time" by Semisonic, "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry, "Barely Breathing" by Duncan Sheikh, and "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies.
- 10. Get It Together by The Beastie Boys
Uhh...not so sure about this one.
- 9. Dream All Day by The Posies
Album of same name is a really good BestOf.
- 8. My Name Is Jonas by Weezer
Great sing-along-song. Just follow the bouncing ball.
- 7. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
And a fine video too.
- 6. Lake Of Fire by Nirvana
Who cares which song is more influential. I like this one more.
- 5. She's The One by The Beta Band
Sweet sweet song. Though I don't understand 90% of it.
- 4. Best Imitation Of Myself by Ben Folds Five
Funny funny song.
- 3. The Distance by Cake
Just saw Cake tonight. It was a great show, so maybe this rating is slightly inflated? This is a really good song though. They closed with their version of I Will Survive, which was introduced as "...we honestly weren't trying to be sarcastic...it's just a great song...here it is."
- 2. Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins
Siamese Dream is also, in my opinion, their best album.
- 1. Anyone Can Play Guitar by Radiohead
Since thinking of it, I am now jonesing to hear this song.
Wanted to fit in Modest Mouse in but couldn't honestly say that any one song made my list...though they defintely would make a top 5 appearance on my new millenium top 10 list. Yours Truly, NOSPAMEVERdanZbarIHATESPAM*AT*hotSPAMSUCKSASSmail.comBYTHEWAYNOSPAM
By: DJ Babiuk
- 10. Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America
I'm sorry. I'm extremely sorry. It had to be on here...
- 9. Buddy Holly by Weezer
Just a fun little tune. The video is even more fun. EEHHH!
- 8. Song 2 by Blur
Woo Hoo! Short song, very recognizable.
- 7. Big Me by Foo Fighters
Soft, fun song.
- 6. Thunderstruck by AC/DC
Yes, it's from the early 90s. What a great, energetic song. Pumps you up before a big game.
- 5. Wonderwall by Oasis
Brit-rock done extremely well.
- 4. Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton
Extremely emotional song but an exceptionally skilled musician.
- 3. Santa Monica by Everclear
A catchy little rock song, extremely fun to sing along to.
- 2. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day
The lyrics, the acoustic guitar, everything is just so simple and beautiful.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Ushered in a new sound, a new style. Not their best song, but definitely their most important.
As you can see I'm not much for rap or r'n'b or anything else, so I'm somewhat biased. I know many people will argue that some songs shouldn't be on the list (mainly #10). Other notables for myself are "Faith" by Limp Bizkit, "Good" by Better Than Ezra, and "Shine" by Collective Soul.
By: Danny Lopez
- 10. Testify by Rage Against the Machine
Get out and protest something dammit!
- 9. Paul Revere by Beastie Boys
Never quite got why they were so huge until I bought a really big pair of headphones.
- 8. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Before I even knew about them this was the song that really got me into listening to more rock alternative instead of crap songs.....(I mean Pop Songs)
- 7. Creep by Radiohead
Brings you down a notch but is just so awsome to listen to.
- 6. Undone (The Sweater Song) by Weezer
- 5. Blister In the Sun by Violent Femmes
In my neck of the woods, this group is usually unheard of. Grab this song and you'll know why it suceeds only in the 90's.
- 4. Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots
Great song, equally good on the acoustic version.
- 3. The Man Who Sold the World by Nirvana
Sure, it may be a cover but this song just kicks so much ass. Along with Smashing Pumpkin's cover of Landslide, these songs just always remind me of simple times in high school.
- 2. Jump Around by House of Pain
This is one of the few songs in the early 90's that helped build the bridge between rap & rock. May be corny to some but you still can't help to go nuts when you hear it every once and a while.
- 1. My Hero by Foo Fighters
Great song with awsome video. Acoustic version is just a classic. Makes me think of all the people that have helped throughout the years.
Now this list is in no perticular order. There are tons more songs in that decade that played a small part in my life but these are the ones that stick out the most. Born in '83 I spent the good first half of the 90's listening to Pop music. I was soon brought in the world of Rock and Rap and I've never looked back. These songs not only help change me but they also helped me appreciate the classic rock of the 70's and 80's.
- 10. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
im from buffalo area gotta shout out to my boys
- 9. November Rain by Guns And Roses
slash is the most amazing gutairst ever need i say more
- 8. I Dont Wana Miss A Thing by Aerosmith
i have to give a shout out to aerosmith espesialy since thats mine and my girls song
- 7. All Apologies by Nirvana
nirvana unpluged amazing
- 6. Fuel by Mettalica
adrenailne rush any one?
- 5. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Pepers
the best ballad of the 90's
- 4. Intersate Love Song by Stone Temple Piolts
once it gets in your head it dont leave
- 3. What I Got by Sublime
who cant think its catchy
- 2. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
so shocking so amazing
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Kurts been dead 10 years and that song still is huge
- 10. Time Of Your Life by Green Day
- 9. Live Forever by Oasis
- 8. November Rain by Guns And Roses
- 7. Killing Me Softly by Fugees
- 6. Losing My Religion by Rem
- 5. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
- 4. Posion by Bell Biv Devoe
- 3. Buddy Holly by Weezer
- 2. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 1. Cant Help Falling In Love by Ub40
- 10. Round Here by Counting Crows
cc never got better than this
- 9. Stranger In Moscow by Michael Jackson
unseen quality - how does it feel?
- 8. Alive by Pearl Jam
wake up to this song everyday
- 7. Crossroads by Bonethugs
i'm a lover of rock but this song is deep!
- 6. Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins
billy corgan at his most anguish
- 5. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
c'mon who hasn't heard of this
- 4. One by U2
bono's voice can send shivers down your spine
- 3. Everlong by Foo Fighters
one of the best riffs ever
- 2. Lithium by Nirvana
teen spirit gets the press - but this is the real hit
- 1. Paranoid Android by Radiohead
art rock at its best
- 10. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
- 9. Champagne Supernova by Oasis
- 8. Dont Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith
- 7. Bed Of Roses by Bon Jovi
- 6. Tender by Blur
- 5. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 4. Dont Cry by Guns And Roses
- 3. Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion
- 2. Losing My Religion by Rem
- 1. Live Forever by Oasis
4 minutes of life....
By: stefan routt
- 10. Gettin Jiggy Wit it by Will Smith
- 9. Livin La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin
- 8. I'll Make Love to You by Boyz II Men
- 7. Crash by Dave Matthews
- 6. Make 'Em Say Ughh by Master P
- 5. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 4. Macarena by Los Del Rio
- 3. Waterfall by TLC
- 2. My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
- 1. Kiss by a Rose by Seal
- 10. Lullaby by Shawn Mullins
"just before she hangs her head to cry, I sing to her a lullaby"
- 9. Someday We'll Know by New Radicals
"Someday we'll know if love can move a mountain"
- 8. Ironic by Alanis Morrissette
"It's like meeting the man of my dreams then meeting his beautiful wife"
- 7. Wonderwall by Oasis
"Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me"
- 6. Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
"Try to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you die"
- 5. Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden
"I'll love you more with every breath, truly madly deeply do"
- 4. Better Man by Pearl Jam
"She lies and says she's in love with him - can't find a better man"
- 3. Push by Matchbox Twenty
"I wanna push you around, well I will"
- 2. Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon
"but I mean nothing to you and I don't know why"
- 1. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
"When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" Iris is just the greatest! It'll always be my fave - it's just a wonderful angsty, desperate and messy love song.
There's so many other songs that are considered more iconic of the 90s, (I'm remembering Hanson, Spice Girls, and a whole lot of pop songs - eek!). This list may not be the BEST songs from the 90s, but they're certainly my favourites!
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book