What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Name by Goo Goo Dolls
- 9. Mysterious Ways by U2
- 8. Machinehead by Bush
- 7. Special by Garbage
- 6. Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
- 5. How's It Gonna Be by Third Eye Blind
- 4. Lightning Crashes by Live
- 3. Found Out About You by Gin Blossoms
- 2. Crash by Dave Matthews Band
- 1. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
- 10. No Rain by Blind Melon
- 9. Nutshell by Alice In Chains
- 8. Glycerine by Bush
- 7. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
- 6. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
- 5. Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana
- 4. Misery by Soul Asylum
- 3. Creep by Radiohead
- 2. Alive by Pearl Jam
- 1. Smell Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 10. Wannabe by Spice Girls
Oh my.... bit different than most other songs on my list, but then my tastes have changed since then. All you girls were into the whole "Girl Power!" thing with their friends, you all pretended you were one of them and sang their part- ADMIT IT! I KNOW it's not just me! Hehe! Another song that falls into this catagory (which might as well be "What was I thinking?" is The Sign by Ace of Base, but I had no room for it on my list.
- 9. You Were Meant For Me by Jewel
Her best song, in my opinion. I haven't liked anything that she's come out with lately as much.
- 8. Black Balloon by Goo Goo Dolls
A bit haunting, yet you want to listen to it again....
- 7. Smooth by Santana Featuring Rob Thomas
Absolutely love Rob's voice in every Matchbox 20 song, too, but this one stuck out. Other favorite MB20 songs: Real World, 3AM, Damn, Mad Season, Bent, Rest Stop.
- 6. Ironic by Alanis Morrisette
I know I spelled her name wrong, btw. I remember loving that tape (haha!- still tape, not cd!) back when it first came out. This is my favorite song on it, but You Oughtta Know gets an honorable mention. But "Isn't it ironic? Don't ya think? A little too ironich... Oh yeah, I really do think. It's like raaaaiiiiin on your wedding day..." and so on.
- 5. Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band
Gotta love the DMB. Torn between this one and Satellite for this list, but I have sooo many songs I want to put... I like the opening lyrics : "You've got your ball, you've got your chain tied to me tight, tie me up again..."
- 4. Semi-charmed Life by Third Eye Blind
Who DIDN'T know that chorus, or the verses for that matter? It's so up-tempo that everyone sort of missed what it was really about during the time of its radio play. I think all the "Doot doot doot, doot do-doot do"s threw everyone off a bit- myself included.
- 3. Good Riddance (time Of Your Life) by Green Day
Good song, great band... very memorable lyrics that make you a little nostalgic every time you hear it...
- 2. The River by Garth Brooks
Absolutely my FAVORITE song when I was little (yay for whoever else put this on their list!), definitely the best of his work. Awesome lyrics- particularly: "So don't you sit up on the shoreline, and say you're satisfied/ Choose to chance the rapids, dare to dance the tide"
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Gotta go with the general opinion on this one. Defining song of the 90's, pioneered the grunge movement.. definitely number one.
I don't know that these were my favorite songs while the 90s were going on, they're just my favorites looking back. I went through some pretty peculiar music phases in those ten years. First half of the decade I was very into country (still have a place in my heart for old favorites, and still shamelessly love Garth Brooks and Faith Hill)... then came my pop phase (wherein Mariah Carey was my IDOL), then I got more into alternative and rock, and I think my picks reflect mostly that aspect of the 90s for me.
- 10. What To Do by Gob
This song is Excellent
- 9. No Surprises by Radiohead
Better then creep
- 8. Damnit by Blink-182
- 7. Miss You Love by Silverchair
Every song by them is great but this is the best
- 6. The World I Know by Collective Soul
The best song by them
- 5. No Rain by Blind Melon
- 4. Deep Inside Of You by Third Eye Blind
This song is great
- 3. Insane In The Brain by Cypris Hill
Who couldn't love this song?
- 2. The One I Gave My Heart To by Aaliyah
Great song for break ups
- 1. One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey Feat Boys 2 Men
This song is so sweet and it shows to tell your friends everything and never take them for granted
- 10. You're Too Cool by Gob
- 9. Bullet With Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins
- 8. Lithium by Nirvana
- 7. Disconnected by Face To Face
- 6. Longview by Green Day
- 5. Self Esteem by The Offspring
- 4. Creep by Radiohead
- 3. 21st Century Digital Boy by Bad Religion
- 2. Bob by Nofx
- 1. Freak by Silverchair
- 10. California Love by 2pac
2pac 4 life
- 9. Murder Was The Case by Snoop Dogg
Snoop holding it down
- 8. Dead Wrong by Notorius B.i.g
- 7. Burn by Mobb Deep
- 6. Tear Drops And Closed Caskets by 2pac
- 5. God Bless Tha Dead by 2pac
- 4. Shine by juvenile
- 3. Dmx by Who We Be
- 2. Hit Em Up by 2pac
- 1. Troublesome 96' by 2pac
down for my boys
2pac 4 life!!! we outlaws 4 life 2pac is still alive and he will be back up in this 2003 THUG LIFE right here boyy
- 10. Rooster by Alice In Chains
Again, buy Dirt!
- 9. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town by Pearl Jam
So distinct. Pearl Jam nailed their first true ballad-like song.
- 8. Angry Chair by Alice In Chains
If you haven't, you need to buy this album
- 7. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
I'm still mad they broke up...
- 6. Alive by Pearl Jam
Puts together best guitar solo of the decade and Eddie Vedder's distinct, great voice and lyrics.
- 5. Come As You Are by Nirvana
Probably a little better than Teen Spirit, but wasn't overall as influencial.
- 4. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Yeah it was big. But not number one big.
- 3. 3am by Matchbox 20
No doubt the best song that wasn't grunge. One of maybe ten goods songs after 1996.
- 2. Losing My Religion by REM
Best acoustic song from the decade.
- 1. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
Incredibly written. The music video simply makes it unstoppable.
- 10. Make Yourself by Incubus
Incubus is a sleeper. Few people realize how damn good this band actually is.
- 9. Losing my Religion by R.e.m.
When i first saw this video i have to admit, it kinda scared me but the song is undoubtedly one of the best i had ever heard.
- 8. Same In The End by Sublime
This came from one the best albums i have ever heard.
- 7. November Rain by Guns And Roses
Axl and Guns and Roses were the best writers ever.
- 6. Tired Of Sex by Weezer
Weezer is the best band ever next to Nirvana.
- 5. Man In The Box by Alice In Chains
A great song. What else can i say.
- 4. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
This song has a great message and its Eddy signs it with great emotion.
- 3. Down by 311
311 is one of those bands that everyone likes and this song never gets old.
- 2. No Rain by Blind Melon
Too bad Shannon is not around anymore.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Nirvana was a great band and is there anyone better than Kurt Cobain?
There are alot of bands I wanted to put on this lst so this was a really hard list to make but I felt I would only put bands on there that I was sure everyone had already heard of.
- 10. Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer
Any person will love this song. Im not that into mushy songs, but this song is beautiful. "You wear those shoes, and I will wear that dress" so cute!
- 9. Semi-charmed Kind Of Life by 3rd Eye Blind
i dont have much else to comment... this song is AWESOME
- 8. Unpretty by Tlc
ill make u feel unpretty too!! this song kicks ass.
- 7. You Make Me Wanna.... by Usher
you make me wanna leeeave the one im with, start a new relationship wit uuuu .... :) such a cool song.
- 6. No Woman No Cry by The Fugees
i love the fugees!!! also the bob marley version is great! especially IN LIVE CONCERTTT
- 5. Everybody Hurts Sometimes by Rem
This song is also very deep and sad... makes me cry. If you havent heard it, download it right now! it makes u feel so NOT ALONE.
- 4. Power Of Goodbye by Madonna
This is such a great song... !! And its soo sad.
- 3. Time Of Your Life by Green Day
i hope u have the time of ur life :) how sweet is that?
- 2. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
"i just want u to know who i am"... ive been able to relate to this song many times.
- 1. California Love by 2pac/dr. Dre
this is one smooth song. SHAKE IT SHAKE IT BABYYY i love 2pac. all his songs are so great.
- 10. About A Girl by Nirvana
Few songs are great live and on an album. This one is great either way. And I need and easy friend too.
- 9. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
"Here we are now, entertain us" Dont you want to say that to your teachers.
- 8. Losing My Religion by R.e.m.
This song and video gives me chills every time they are on. Micheal Stipe took soft rock and made it great.
- 7. Sex Type Thing by Stone Temple Pilots
What a great song. STP rules. Scott is a great lead singer.
- 6. Clean by Incubus
This song starts off slow and then BAM ITS IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!
- 5. Same In The End by Sublime
This is the best song off one ofr the best albums ever.
- 4. Random by 311
311, liked by everybody. SOUND BOY!
- 3. Say It Ain't So by Weezer
I get pumped every time I gear this song. GREAT SONG!!
- 2. Inside Out by Eve 6
For a long time I didn't know who sang this song. When I found out I listened to it over and over again.
- 1. Aero Zepellin by Nirvana
Nirvana is the greatest band of all time and this song has the best guitar solo I have ever heard. Kurt will always live on.
All that pop and rap crap make me sick. Rap and pop songs are all exactly the same and when they go on tour all they need are clothes. Rockers actually make their living. Nirvana and Weezer are the best bands ever and 90's rock will always be remembered.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book