What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. 1979 (1996) by Smashing Pumpkins
Very morose, very moody, but still feels good. Reminds me of the best times I had with the best of friends.
- 9. Forever My Lady/Stay/Come andTalk to Me (1991) by Jodeci
The super-Trifecta of love songs from this incredible RnB group makes me wonder why they broke up?!!! They were the BOMB!
- 8. Spiderwebs/Just a Girl/Excuse me Mr. (1995) by No Doubt
I know I'm bending rules w/ these multi-song listings, but dammit! - some songs just go hand in hand. How could I list one w/out the others?
- 7. U Can't Touch This (1990) by M.C. Hammer
Say what you want NOW - but when this song first came out....
- 6. Get Money by Junior Mafia ft. Notorious B.I.G.
Funny thing is, everybody has heard this beat before; whether you know the song or not, TRUST ME - EVERYBODY has heard this beat! It's infectious. u cannot stop bobbing to it. Try it. I dare you. The world learned who Lil' Kim was.
- 5. One More Chance remix (1995) by Notorious B.I.G.
I miss this guy. Rap music's Greatest Ambassador laid down the most lyrical, smoothest, panty-wetting lyrics ever on this Classic of all Classics club hit.
- 4. Jeremy/Once (1991) by Pearl Jam
Power. Energy. Primal. Best way I can describe these songs.
- 3. Smells like Teen Spirit (1991) by Nirvana
Immortal song. "With the lights out/it's less dangerous/here we are now/ entertain us." - was THE voice of an entire generation. Chilling. This song makes me think of something Ali said, "I shook up the world!!"
- 2. Groove Me/Teddy's Jam ('88-1992) by Guy
I know this actually came out in '88, but when Teddy Riley found the formula for New Jack Swing this song, his biggest hit, jammed for the next 4 years straight!
- 1. Nothing but a 'G' Thang (1992) by Snoop and Dre
It didn't get better than this. The biggest, baddest song from the biggest album of the decade! Still jams at parties!
My list is very hiphop influenced because hiphop reigned in the 90's. But there is no denying that Nirvana and Pearl Jam were kings.
By: Pete Maus
- 10. Teenage Fan Club by Broken
- 9. Luv by Travis
- 8. The Masterplan by Oasis
- 7. The Drugs Dont Work by The Verve
- 6. Only In Dreams by Weezer
- 5. Ms. Misery by Elliot Smith
- 4. Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam
- 3. Dont Cry by Guns N Roses
- 2. Good Day To Die by Travis
- 1. Live Forever by Oasis
My Grundle Is Mad Hairy! Oasis2k2
By: Ryan Couch
- 10. Superbeast by Rob Zombie
- 9. Dragula by Rob Zombie
- 8. Higher by Creed
- 7. With Arms Wide Open by Creed
- 6. Bittersweet Symphony by Verve Pipe
- 5. Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton
- 4. Strawberry Wine by Deanna Carter
- 3. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 2. I'll Be Missin'You by Puff Daddy
- 1. The Freshmen by Verve Pipe
- 10. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows
Great intro and also has a great chorus.
- 9. Basket Case by Green Day
best song off of Dookie which was a great album. Was the high point of the punk revival.
- 8. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Seems like an obligatory choice, but it paved the way for every other band on this list. This truly brought about a new era in rock.
- 7. Crash by Dave Matthews Band
These guys play their instruments so well it's unbelievable. Their instrumentals make this song so great. This is a beautiful song.
- 6. California Love by 2Pac and Dr.Dre
Best Rap song and dance song. Was the pinnacle of the gangsta rap scene until it fell to the ground 6 months later. Also help expand rap into the mainstream further with cuss-free lyrics.
- 5. Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots
Weiland's vocals were great and the hook is catchy. Also STP was great before Weiland screwed himself up with drugs.
- 4. Glycerine by Bush
Best slower song. Gavin spills his voice out here, and the instrumentals back him up with a beautiful song.
- 3. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
This song was so powerful. It actually was more than 5 years before school shootings started happening and was one of the first outlets for the rage in kids. Also this has to be the best video. Also were the Band of the 90's commercially.
- 2. Ants Marching by Dave Matthews Band
The best band of the 90's. Of all their songs, this is the best. Boyd's violin sounds grat, and LeRoi's sax is out of this world. Was also very catchy.
- 1. Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Best song ever. The opening guitar is astounding, the guitar throughout is excellent, and the drums are great and underrated.
Honorable mentions go to:Any Dave Matthews Band song, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Counting Crows, Creed, Blind Melon, Soundgarden, Collective Soul, REM, Weezer, and Metallica.
- 10. The Freshman/Crash Into Me by The Verve/Dave Matthew Band
Both great songs that i still listen to everyday. Something about a song that moves people in different ways. ITs weird eh? Anyways, both songs and artists do something for me and were huge in the 90's.
- 9. No Rain by Blind Melon
Along with Kurt, Blind Melon's front man also passed away before his time. Only releaing one album, blind melon had the balls to make it big and stay there. "No Rain", had a great hook and easy to listen to music. #1 in my books.
- 8. Sober by Tool
Haunting and simply amazing. Tool is a band that amazes me still to this day, one of the most underrated bands ever to grace this earth. Enough said.
- 7. Basket Case by Green Day
Green Day the kings of Rock/Punk! What else is there to say! Basket Case was the first single to get international attention that is still present today,(Dookie has since become a classic in its own right). 4 albums later and a greatest hits album too, and they're still rocking!
- 6. Wonderwall by Oasis
An overplayed pop hit, that still is played today. "Wonderwall" was Oasis breakthrough song that turned them into superstars. They�re "What's the Story..." cd was another huge 90's albums, with many hits. Wonderwall had the broadest exposure. By the way what is a wonderwall?
- 5. Today by Smashing Pumpkins
This song catapulted the Pumpkins career into one of the most successful bands of the nineties. Their first album Siamese Dream was followed by another great album, and was both a critical success and a mainstream one. �Today� had a great video and the song was so simple that it was instantly a classic.
- 4. Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots
An amazing rock song that just catches you offguard. If you lived through the 90's you had to of heard this song. Anyone would hear it and go "I Remember it". STP along with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, are one of the best bands of the 90's. Most of all i just love the song, good memories.:)
- 3. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
Undeniably one of many if not the best rock bands of the 90�s, Pearl Jam�s Jeremy, off of the album �Ten�, which is one of the best rock albums of all time, gave you a sense of what a youth faces and fears. MTV loved this one and played it religiously, it dealing with a pressing issue of school bulling. Unlike the rage songs of the 2000 it was artistic and moving. It also won many awards, (MTV video of the year), and why not the song rocks! The whole album �Ten� had 5 hit rocks songs, but Jeremy had mainstream exposure.
- 2. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette
The female empowerment movement in rock angst started with this song, the song that makes you want to yell and scream. From the best selling CD of the 90�s Jagged Little Pill, came with this breakthrough track that every woman and even most men could relate to. A song about the bitter ends of a broken relationship leaves you with a new found perspective on the female psyckee. (also Ironic is the most known Alanis song)
- 1. Smells Like Teen Sprit by Nirvana
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana The song that defined a generation, (for a reason not known to many *cough#)�although not their best, it was the most groundbreaking and an anthem for generation X. Set the groundwork for the future of contemporary rock bands, and are still known as the band that changed the rock scene forever.
Groups like Backstreet Boys and all that other music is cool to listen too and fun, but when it comes down to it i didnt even think about that kind of music. What is all comes down to is that When you think about the 90�s and the music that defined that decade what do you ponder? Does Kurt Cobain come to mind or is it the size of Britney�s chest? If it�s Britney�s innocence, you have missed the boat one more time baby. The 90's were about rock bands not pop bands. Those were the days when music kicked ass...!
- 10. It's All Right To Be A Redneck by Alan Jackson
Personal redneck favorite.
- 9. The Sign by Ace of Base
Try to ignore it, try to block it out, but its always there.
- 8. Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangster by Ghetto Boys
If you haven't somehow heard this one, download it.
- 7. 2Hype by Kid N Play
Possibly could have been higher, but great at the seventh position.
- 6. Gas Face by 3rd Base
At the time gas face couldn't be beat. 3rd base still rulz!
- 5. That's Just About Right by Blackhawk
If your a country fan you can't pass this up.
- 4. Ditty by Paperboy
Tell me you didn't forget how cold this one is.
- 3. Elevators by Outkast
This song just lays it down.
- 2. The Dance by Garth Brooks
One of the best songs ever written.
- 1. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
Greatest rapper ever to live. Ya you heard?
- 10. Nookie by Limp Bizkit
The song that started it all for a great band and a great album!!!
- 9. Big Pimpin' by Jay-Z
I know this song has some pretty rough lyrics, but its genius!
- 8. Buddy Holly/Say it Ain't So by Weezer
They kinda sound like kids in a band singing about fun stuff, i dunno, but i love them.
- 7. Wonderwall/Champagne Supernova by Oasis
Great british band, great lyrics, great songs!
- 6. What I got/Wrong way by Sublime
Sublime has a different sound and excellent lead singer, my friend's band reminds me of them:)
- 5. Soul to Squeeze/Scar Tissue by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
One of the best bands alive, and still going strong too:)
- 4. Crash/Ants Marching by Dave Mathews Band
Crash is so romantic, and Ants Marching is unique and catchy, and every song by DMB is awesome!
- 3. It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday by Boyz II Men
This beautiful song reminds me of the past year...all the emotion of graduating and losing 3 friends...RIP, i love you guys.
- 2. Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
This song has such mesmerizing notes...and the lyrics are great. I hear this song and the world stops.
- 1. Black or White/Remember the Time by Michael Jackson
I had to put my man first! He is the best! Black or White has a great lyrics and Remember the Time is a wonderful tune.
the 90s were my growing up period, i went through elementary school, middle school, and highschool in the 90s, Great Memories, and 10 songs is not enough!
- 10. Are You Gonna Go On My Way? by Lenny Kravitz
His first big hit, with a nice guitar solo and a sticky rithm
- 9. Song 2 by Blur
One Of the Best Brit Pop Groups
- 8. 7 Words by Deftones
A Powerfull Song by a Huge Band
- 7. Black Hole Sun by Sound Garden
A Wonderfull Song
- 6. Enter Sadman by Metallica
Who does not love this song?
- 5. Basket Case by Green Day
A fantastic punk song with a magnificent bass-guitar
- 4. Creep by Radiohead
What a song !!! A great Melody, a melancolic lyric, just exelent
- 3. Nothing Else Mathers by Metallica
Good Song, One of the greatest rocks ballades
- 2. Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton
A tragic song with exelent lyrics performed by a great singer and guitarrist
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Just like the story of my life, an anthem of the 90s
POP SUCKS !!!!!
By: Sarah D. Bolam
- 10. Mmm Mmm Mmm by Crash Test Dummies
I never did get this one...
- 9. No Rain by Blind Melon
Who hadn't heard this song?
- 8. Black Hole Sun by Sound Garden
How aweosme is this song?
- 7. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Brings back memories...
- 6. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 5. Tonight, Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins
This song won bunches of MTV Video awards back in the day. Not only did that happen, but the song plain out kicked ASS!
- 4. Santa Monica by Everclear
Art never though this song would do it, but he was wrong!
- 3. Basket Case by Green Day
Look around at all the rap-lovers, pop-lovers, and r&b-lovers of today. Now, try to think of ONE of those people who wasn't blasting this song on their radio back in 1994? Bet you can't think of any!
- 2. Self Esteem by Offspring
This anthem rang through everyone's head!
- 1. Today by The Smashing Pumpkins
The song that made the band ... the best band of the 90s and beyond. The band that was played on MTV constantly ... you know, when they used to PLAY music?
I get pissed when I think of what the 90's turned into by the end, and what they brought into the new era. This SUCKS! The Pumpkins are completely forgotten, after being the bets band of the 90s, and yet we still remember that POMPOUS JACKASS, Michael Jackson. Let me have some justice here, people. MTV SUCKS MY ASS!!
- 10. The Real Slim Shady by Eminem
- 9. Quit Playing Games by Backstreet Boys
- 8. Big Big World by Emilia
- 7. I'll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy
- 6. Maenner Sind Schweine by Die �rzte
- 5. Stand By Me by 4 The Cause
- 4. Mr. Boombastic by Shaggy
- 3. No Tengo Dinero by Los Umbrellos
- 2. You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon
Not Sure if it's 90's or 80's?
- 1. Ghetto Superstar by Pras Michael
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book