What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
By: Dan Meier
- 10. Basket Case by Green Day
- 9. Killing in the Name Of by Rage Against the Machine
- 8. This is a Call by Foo Fighters
- 7. Loser by Beck
- 6. Pepper by Butthole Surfers
- 5. Peaches by The Presidents of the United States
- 4. Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 3. Loosing My Religion by REM
- 2. Creep by Radiohead
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
This is the greatest song ever and it was the definition of Generation-X.
By: Gulcin Gokoglu
- 10. Get down(you're the one for me) by Backstreet boys
Even from that day, it was obvious that Backstreet Boys was a good band.
- 9. Words by Boyzone
This song is a cover, but boyzone gave it another taste.
- 8. Vision of Love by Mariah Carey
I think this is the best Mariah Carey song as she then changed ehr sound a little.
- 7. All that she wants by Ace of base
Maybe this song is not good as ''the sign'' but its success and quality is never deniable.
- 6. What is love by Haddaway
- 5. Wannabe by Spice Girls
Neither they again gave the taste of this song nor the cheap girl bands that came after them.
- 4. macarena by Los del rio
Hasn't this song made everyone dance?
- 3. Ironic by Alanis Morissette
It was as big as everyone expected.
- 2. Don't Speak by No Doubt
I find myself in thsis ong, though i couldn't find another no doubt song as successful as this one.
- 1. The Sign by Ace of Base
Maybe this is the best song I've ever heard. Was so successful that, everyone still remembers its name.
There are lots of other good songs that i couldn't mention here. But here some of them that's unforgettable: Zombie= The Cranberries Puff Daddy= I'll be missing you Mr. President= Coco Jambo( they just imitate ace of base, but they haven't succeeded ) Alanis Morissette= You oughta know Joan Osborne= One of us Celine Dion = it's all coming back to me now Toni Braxton= Unbreak my heart... lots of others
- 10. Falling Away From Me by KoRn
KoRn is an awsome f***in' band!!!
- 9. Ooooops! I did it again by Britney Spears
Another Great song!!!
- 8. Got The Life by KoRn
A great kick a** song!!!
- 7. Last Resort by PaPa Roach
An awsome song!!!
- 6. Bent by Matchbox Twenty
Matchbox Twenty Rules!!!
- 5. My Name Is by Eminem
The first Eminem song I herd!!!
- 4. There You Go by Pink
I just like this song!!!
- 3. Lucky by Britney Spears
I liked this song since i first HERD the CD.
- 2. It's Gonna Be Me by *N SYNC
I just liked this song since I first got the CD.
- 1. The Real Slim Shady by Eminem
I wish I was the real Slim Shady!!!!!
By: Phil A
- 10. Porcelain by Moby
This tune closes the 90s and points to the future of music for the 00s.
- 9. Man on the Moon by REM
An acoustic sound in the middle of a powerchord music scene? It happened and radiohead pulled it off to create a spectacular fresh sound for the time.
- 8. Number One Crush by Garbage
A well done progressive 'alternative' song of the latter half of te 90s. The use of sampling and vocals makes for a pretty erotic song, as opposed to just plain depressing.
- 7. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
I only give this song credit for it's impact on the music of the 90s, I don't really care much for the song but I do like what sprang from it.
- 6. Pretty Noose by Soundgarden
One of the last remnants of the Nirvanaesque sound of the early 90s.
- 5. Today by The Smashing Pumpkins
Radiofriendly alternative tune that launched the Pumpkins to superstardom which alowed the band to experiment and create a soundrack to the decade for many.
- 4. Sweet Surrender by Sarah McLachlan
The zenith of the female signer's reign in late 90s music charts. The only decent female signer as far as I'm concerned (Jewel? Alanis? Ugh).
- 3. Just by Radiohead
Just, the next generation of 'alternative' music. A departure and transformation of the typical angst-filled alterno-tunes like RH's 'Creep'.
- 2. Setting Sun by Chemical Brothers
One of electronica's first major hits, marking a point in 90s music where the amount of drum machines used in popular music increases.
- 1. Mysterious Ways by U2
A sure sign of the change in music in the 90s was the change in the premier band of the 80s, U2.
- 10. Sober by Tool
This probably belongs higher but there are so many good songs
- 9. Firestarter by Prodigy
Play it at work. A lot
- 8. Beauty of Gray by Live
Never really made it big time but one of my favs by them
- 7. Hey Jealousy by Gin Blossoms
This song may possibly have been responsible for some sleep-overs..
- 6. Whats Up by 4 Non Blonds
I try to sing along but my voice just isn't high enough
- 5. Mighty KC by For Squirrels
If you have never heard of this band you need to find this song. Its a tribute to Kurt Cobain and it seriously rocks.
- 4. Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three
Just plain rocks
- 3. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morisette
I love angry chics... as long as they aren't angry with me
- 2. Machinehead by Bush
You know you whip out the air guitar for this one
- 1. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows
Very talented band. I can listen to this song over and over
I wish this was a top twenty. Too many good songs are left out.
By: Fernan Balsalubré
- 10. Amazed by Lonestar
Ryan Annis-- my country-listenin' x....
- 9. (You) Drive Me Crazy by Britney Spears
- 8. I Try by Macy Gray
- 7. Bent by MatchBox20
Jeff Smith...my best friend, jeff and i agreed that the world is out to get us...and this song exemplifies that...
- 6. Adam's Song by Blink 182
- 5. Absolutely (Story of a Girl) by Nine Days
Matthew Berry - this song is very uplifting,everyone smiles =)
- 4. Don't Speak by No Doubt
- 3. Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon
- 2. One For Sorrow by Steps
Yann Beise...very danceable song...poppy...just like the 90's
- 1. Swear It Again by Westlife
(Matthew Berry)- my last semester crush...each time i heard this song, I couldn't help but think of him...
All these songs I have listed are tied in with the guys who have broken my heart, or touched my heart in some way...as you can see, each song comes with a guy...
- 10. 311 by down
- 9. esthero by breathe from another
- 8. learn to fly by foo fighters
- 7. animal instinct by the cranberries
- 6. hollywood freaks by beck
- 5. all mixed up by 311
a great song
- 4. bump by kottonmouth kings
- 3. alive by beastie boys
- 2. redefine by incubus
- 1. do you right by 311
this song makes me feel so good
the 90s was an awesome decade for music, it revolutionized music lots of wicked music including my favourite band of all time; 311.
- 10. Ode to my Family by The Cranberries
You just can't go wrong with this group and their excellent albums!
- 9. Ava Adore by Smashing Pumpkins
Gotta love the Pumpkins!
- 8. Drop Dead Gorgeous by Republica
One of many great songs on this great album
- 7. Get Up by Technotronic
Another excellent song
- 6. Where Are You Now? by Janet Jackson
Nice slow song
- 5. Missing by Everything But the Girl
Great dance song
- 4. 6 Underground by Sneaker Pimps
Just love this song...
- 3. I've Got a Feeling by Ivy
Best song on Apartment Life album.
- 2. Light From a Dead Star by Lush
The ultimate Lush song (on their album "Split"). The entire "Spooky" album is awesome too!
- 1. Subhuman by Garbage
Not a well-known song from them, but should be!!! Garbage is the top band of the 1990s. Other masterpieces: Crush, Stupid Girl, Vow, Trip My Wire
- 10. Can we Start Again? by Tindersticks
1999: Is it '60s soul? Britpop? Kurt weill?
- 9. Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim
1998: Big Beat. Right about now...
- 8. Ain't that Enough? by Teenage Fanclub
1997. No top 10 of mine is complete without one of theirs in.
- 7. Born Slippy by Underworld
1996. The ultimate anthem
- 6. The Universal by Blur
1995: Britpop. Anyone of Blur's singles could have been in here
- 5. Sour Times by Portishead
1994: Bristol ruled
- 4. Regret by New Order
1993: my favourite 80s band returns triumphant
- 3. Changes by Sugar
1992: Breakup w/ my girlfriend. Changes, you know?
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
1991: Seattle ruled
- 1. The Only One I Know by Charlatans
1990: Manchester ruled
This is great fun. I could add ten more lists
- 10. My Own Prison by Creed
Hi! We F%n ROCK!!! and were happy to do it. :)
- 9. Anything by Sixpence None The Richer
Yeah we should like to see a burning bush type sign, but anything would be fine.
- 8. Santeria by Sublime
I got sumtin fo his punk ass...
- 7. Fade Into You by Mazzy star
- 6. Elsewhere by Sarah Mclachlan
Fumbling toward ecstasy? Yeah something like that.
- 5. Deja Voodoo by Kenny Wayne Sheppard
Da blues for dat ass.
- 4. Supermans Dead by Our Lady Peace
Do you worry that your not liked? How long till you break? Your happy cause you smile. But how much can you fake?
- 3. You and me and the bottle makes three by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Dude!?! You like swing? Shudap; hand me a beer, and listen.
- 2. Lucky Denver Mint by Jimmy Eat World
Emo...Everybody. Everybody....Meet EMO.
- 1. Halcyon & on & on by Orbital
This piece is silky schmooooov!! And you don't even need to speak english! It can be found on the Hackers soundtrack.
Top 10's are tough, so here are some honorable mentions: Sick of myself by Mathew Sweet, Nice Shot by Filter, 6 Underground by The Sneaker Pimps,Clubed to Death by Rob D, and Sex-O-Matic Venus Freak by Macy Gray (90's?)
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book