What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America
Hahaha. You have to admit, this was a hit. I'm not saying it was/is one of my favorites as far as the sound goes, but it was a total chart-topper. And it was hysterical. Hahaha. Anything that still makes it to the top of the charts with lyrics like the following deserves to be on this list: "Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. I'm movin' to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches. Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. Movin' to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches."
- 9. I Wish by Skee-lo
Remember this one-hit wonder? "I wish I was a little bit taller. I wish I was a baller. I wish I had a girl who looked good. I would call her."
- 8. The Freshmen by The Verve Pipe
Great song. The rest of these are mid-90s stuff while this is more late 90s, but it's still one of the best songs of the decade, in my opinion. "We were merely freshmen."
- 7. Basketcase by Green Day
Of course, who could forget Billie Joe?
- 6. Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-a-Lot
Do I really need to explain why this one should be on the top ten list?
- 5. I'm Gonna Be (I Would Walk 500 Miles) by The Proclaimers
Gotta love those ol' boys from Ireland. Or, wait, shit--is it Scotland? I haven't heard that song in years. I'm trying to remember the accent. Dammit. I don't know. Ireland or Scotland--one of the two. Time to move on, now that I've displayed my wonderful American ignorance for the day . . .
- 4. Today by Smashing Pumpkins
I can't believe no one's mentioned ONE song by the Pumpkins!! Come on, people!! Don't y'all remember "Siamese Dream"? OK, how about "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"? Jeez!! Well, I'm a big Pumpkins fan, so I have many favorites. "Today" happens to be my favorite as of now, which is why I included it on the list. But if I was to totally ignore my personal preference, I'd say "Today," "1979," "Tonight, Tonight," and "Bullet With the Butterfly Wings" all tie for the best Pumpkins song of the '90s.
- 3. Insane in the Brain by Cypress Hill
I may be treading on thin ice here, but even now that half of us have graduated college, my friends and I still play this song. It's hysterical. "I got to get my props. Cops: come and try to snatch my crops . . . Insane in the membrane. (I'M INSANE IN THE BRAIN!)"
- 2. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
I can't believe no one's put this one down yet!! People, people, get with it!! If I heard this song or saw this video one time, then I heard it/saw it 10,000 times. "Black Hole Sun, won't you come wash away the rain?"
- 1. Ants Marching by Dave Matthews Band
Grrreat song. Yep, just like Tony the Tiger. Actually, everything by Dave is great. Great musicians, great lyrics, great thoughts, great rhythms, great combination of instruments . . . it's all great. "All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving. They all do it the same, they all do it the same way."
Actually, I don't think there is a "number one" song for the '90s. I'm not going to be so bold as to say that all ten of these tie with one another ('cause, c'mon, you can't really put Skee-lo on the same plane with Dave), but as far as I'm concerned, these are all great songs. In fact, they're absolutely classic songs that will forever remind me of growing up in the '90s. I didn't want my list to be compiled of songs already on other people's lists, so I know, I'm missing some of the ultimates, like "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "The Sign," "Everybody Hurts," etc. I left out a lot of songs that should be on this top ten list, but only because y'all had beaten me to the punch. :)
By: Joe England
- 10. The Sign by Ace Of Base
- 9. korn by freak on a leash
- 8. One by Metallica
- 7. Wait and Bleed by Slipknot
- 6. I Always Love You by Whitney Houston
- 5. Chicken Huntin by Insane Clown Posse
- 4. 40oz. to Freedom by Sublime
- 3. The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 1. Dream On by Aerosmith
- 10. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
- 9. Whistle While You Twurk by Ying Yang Twins
- 8. Buddy Holly by Weezer
- 7. Burbans and Lacs by Master P
- 6. I Miss My Homies by Master P
- 5. Flowing by 311
- 4. Crash by Dave Matthews Band
- 3. Crossroads by Bone Thugs
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- 1. Changes by Tupac
- 10. Fade Into You by Mazzy Star
Mazzy is the coolest...She will change your life...her songs are meaningful and spiritual and funky and amazing!!!!!
- 9. Dis Armed by Smashing Pumpkins
Great band...miss those guys
- 8. Lightening Crashes by Live
The song will be awesome forever...and Live kicks ass!!!
- 7. I Wanna Sex You Up by Color Me Badd
Everyone that's my age should remember CMB...
- 6. Burn by The Toadies
Rubberneck CD is one of the best out there...too bad they broke up.
- 5. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Reminds me of freshmen year in high school...(sigh)
- 4. Black by Pearl Jam
Grunge rock..plaid shirts....long hair..enough said
- 3. Silent Lucidities by Queensryche
The song is life changing and mind blowing!! It ROCKS
- 2. Damn I wish I was your lover by Sophie B. Hawkins
Reminds my of 90210..when Dylan and Kelley were gettin it on while Brenda was in France...
- 1. Losing My Religion by REM
self explanantory...I just remember the video and the song is just amazing!!!
Music rules...support your local talent!!!!
- 10. Mary J. Blige by Real Love
- 9. Mysterious Ways by U2
Yes most of these songs have been early mid 90s but thats when I felt music was the best..through all controversy
- 8. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
I hate this song...but i'll give it props
- 7. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morrisette
- 6. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
OH NO!!! Eddie's on the rafters!!!!
- 5. Smells like teen spirit by Nirvana
Started a new genre in music with the grunge era and led to this song...
- 4. Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.
I hate rem..but this was a great song in the early 90s
- 3. One More Chance (rmx) by Notorious B.i.g.
smoothed out jam that you could drink smoke and..yea you know to
- 2. Nuthin But A G Thang by Dr Dre
the dr is in...
- 1. I'll Do Anything For Love But I Won't Do That by Meatloaf
wannabe power ballad / rock..surprisingly good and kicks ass
Yes most of these songs have been early mid 90s but thats when I felt music was the best..through all controversy..however not all of these songs should be top ten for a decade however..i brought them to everyone's attention that they are all great songs and you can't forget about them
- 10. When I Grow Up by Garbage
Catchy and reflective.
- 9. Tha Crossroads by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
Launched their career with a sad, emontional song.
- 8. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
A classic rap song from Vanilla Ice. However, it later ruined his career.
- 7. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Made punk rock mainstream.
- 6. California Love by 2Pac and Dr. Dre
Great collaboration between these two hip-hop heavyweights.
- 5. Jump Around by House Of Pain
Another catchy hip-hop song to hit the mainstream.
- 4. Macarena by Los Del Rio
A unique song which started a dancing fad.
- 3. Ironic by Alanis Morissette
"Ironic" is a clever, little song.
- 2. Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
Mixes classic music with a new-age feel.
- 1. What It's Like by Everlast
Classic blues song from ex-rapper Everlast.
- 10. Crazy by Arosmith
- 9. All star by Smash Mouth
- 8. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla ice
Omigosh! They still play that on our radio stations here still
- 7. Stay by Lisa Lobe
I still jam to this song!
- 6. Barbie Girl by Aqua
Hi Ya Barbie!
- 5. Red Light Special by TLC
R.I.P LEFT EYE!
- 4. Summer Girls by LFO
This song was so awesome i love the way they just trow of the wall things in there
- 3. Wanna Be by Spice Girls
LoL is all I have to say
- 2. MMM Bop by Hanson
Okay I know they wernt so cool but this song always was stuck in my head
- 1. Step By Step by New Kids on the block
Omigosh i used to love the new kids on the block!
By: K R
- 10. Testify0 by Rage Against The Machine0
- 9. Silk Road by Kitaro
- 8. Aenima by Tool
- 7. Know Your Enemy by Rage Agianst The Machine
Know Your Enemycom
- 6. Would? by Alice In Chains
- 5. The Bazaar by The Tea Party
- 4. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
- 3. Innocent by Fuel
- 2. Parabol/Parabola by Tool
- 1. Testify by Rage Against The Machine
- 10. Stay Together For The Kids by Blink 182
just made the cut
- 9. Waterfall by Tlc
- 8. Edwin And The Peresure by Superhoney
- 7. Heven Only Knows by K-os
- 6. Hanging By A Moment by Life House
this is one of the best
- 5. Frist Time by Finger 11
this is so good
- 4. Leader Of Men by Nikel Back
this song is nickel backs best work
- 3. Fat Lip by Sum 41
- 2. Angles And Incects by Papa Roach
this song is cool
- 1. Smells Like Team Spirit by Nervana
this is the coolest song ever and i mean ever
thereare lots i missed but o well
- 10. Unpretty by Tlc
Lisa left eye lopes will for ever be rememberd.Tragicly taken on 26.4.2002
- 9. Angel Of Mine by Monica
Come on its monica.
- 8. Right Here Waiting by Monica
My fav song
- 7. Eric Clapton by Tears In Heaven
It makes me cry.
- 6. I Swear by All 4 One
They are hot
- 5. All My Life by K-ci And Jojo
It is butifull
- 4. Killing Me Softly by Fugees
Lauren hill can sing!!!!!!
- 3. Sometimes by Britney Spears
The song is soooo sweet
- 2. Twisted by Keith Sweet
It is the most lovelest song sung by a honey
- 1. Missing You by Puff Daddy Feat:faith Evans
It was sung for a legend notorious b.I.G and it was sung by a legend puff daddy not to mention it has so much meaning.
R&b rocks forever.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book