What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Right Now by Van Halen
This was the last good Van Hagar song (yes, there were some good ones). It embodies the predominant attitude of the decade. Whether talking about doing it, getting it, playing it, or smoking it, the 90's motto was "right here, right now."
- 9. Distance by Cake
I haven't seen this song on any "90's top whatever" lists, but it made mine. I didn't think is was all that great when it first came out, but after listening to it cranked up in my friend's rolling boombox, it's all good.
- 8. Aeroplane by Red Hot Chili Peppers
This song is quite a departure from the typical Red Hot Chili Peppers, but it's so catchy, and it's still got the Chili Pepper funk.
- 7. Man In The Box by Alice In Chains
Speaking of hard, driving rock, don't leave out this song. And speaking of religion, this song is not "of the devil" or "anti-Christ" or any of the other things I've heard. From the chorus, "Jesus Christ...deny your maker." Maybe the critics should listen to what follows instead of cutting it off and making their judgement. Those who know this song will know what I'm talking about
- 6. Higher by Creed
A mix of ballad-like verses and head-bangin', bass-pumpin' choruses. When Creed first hit the scene, everybody was asking "Are these guys a religious band?" Who cares...they should have been asking, "How much better can rock-and-roll get?"
- 5. Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Another quintessential 90's song; between the studio version and the acoustic version, it's hard to find anybody who doesn't like this song
- 4. Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three
Awesome guitar riffs and Jason Ross's vocals make this song one of the best of the decade
- 3. Spoonman by Soundgarden
This song is a showcase of great writing and musical talent. The constant time changes and unique sounds are awesome
- 2. Even Flow by Pearl Jam
The best song by probably the best overall 90's band. Even your mom can rock to this one
- 1. Santa Monica by Everclear
This song just epitomizes the 90's for me...great memories and its catchy tune make it my #1, no question
It was hard choosing just 10 songs. There are many other great songs from the 90's. Some groups that didn't make the list are Nirvana, Candlebox, Hootie and the Blowfish, Collective Soul, Beck, matchbox twenty, and many others. Hats off to you guys, too.
By: chain lightning
- 10. Joey by Concrete Blonde
Remember this one?
- 9. Crazy by Seal
The summer of 91...the big road trip. Have 12 years really gone by that fast?
- 8. Virutal Reality by Jamiroquai
The song has held up so well over the years, even without the incredible video to accompany it.
- 7. Wonderful by Everclear
"Promises mean everything when you're little, and the world's so big..." I think it's actually from 2000 but I just have to squeak it in under the wire.
- 6. Every Morning by Sugar Ray
Ah, the summer of 99...
- 5. Creep by Radiohead
Just great and a classic
- 4. The Distance by Cake
Never get tired of hearing this one. A band from my old home, Sacramento.
- 3. The Simple Life by Elton John
"And we won't break, and we won't bend, and if it's the last thing we ever do, we're gonna get back, to the simple life again..."
- 2. Hazard by Richard Marx
The first time I heard this, I immediately knew it was one incredible song. I was pleasantly surprised when I described the song to a friend and was told it was by Richard Marx.
- 1. Paper in Fire by John Mellancamp
Not necessarily my #1 for the 90's but definitely my #1 for this artist.
Honorable mentions: "I Want it That Way" (Backstreet Boys), "Jump Around" (House of Pain), "Firestarter" and "Breathe" (Prodigy), "Loser" and "Where it's At" (Beck), "Runaway Train" (Soul Asylum), "Groove is in the Heart" (Dee-lite), "I'm Too Sexy" (Right Said Fred), "The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get" (Morrissey), "Losing My Religion" (REM), and anything by Rage Against the Machine.
By: Trisha Horn
- 10. I Need You Tonight by INXS
The beat to this song is enough to keep you hooked
- 9. Janie's Got A Gun by Aerosmith
This song hits you with a thud
- 8. Blind Melon by No Rain
One of the best feel-good songs that you can help but sing and dance to every time you hear it
- 7. Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews
Everyone loves this song even if they are antiDave. If you are, you obviously don't have an appreciation for talent.
- 6. High & Dry by Radiohead
The song speaks for itself
- 5. Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.
This song helped everyone in America realize that like everyone else, they too are human.
- 4. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
This was one of the first songs of the 90s that touched on the vilence among our youth. Pearl Jam has a talent that is unspeakable.
- 3. November Rain by Guns 'N' Roses
This Song is on the verge of white trashville, but it holds a special place in my heart. Plus, the video alone will make the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame.
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Of course, Nirvana must be in there. They're legends.
- 1. Mysterious Ways by U2
U2 is the ultimate band of the 80s as well as the 90s!
To all you teeny boppers who know nothing about talent...take heed to this list and maybe you'll realize Britney Spears and The Backstreet Boys DID NOT DEFINE THE 90s.
- 10. Heart-Shaped Box by Nirvana
Wouldn't be a 90's countdown with atleast one Nirvana song.
- 9. Sober by Tool
Tool is the kind of band that will be timeless in their greatness
- 8. Fell on Black Days by Soundgarden
Why shouldn't they have two songs in the top 10?
- 7. Iris by Goo Goo Dolls
Sickening hearing this song after a relationship with the best girl I've ever had
- 6. Nutshell by Alice in Chains
Was sung best on the unplugged album Layne Staley R.I.P.
- 5. Creep by Stone Temple Pilots
Never understood the greatness of this song, or Stone Temple Pilots for that matter, till recent
- 4. H. by Tool
Maynard's chilling vocals bring this song to life
- 3. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
Best band of the 90's, Chris Cornell is amazing
- 2. Angels Son by Straight up F/ Lajon of Sevendust
Was sung originally as a tribute and you can just feel the heart felt emotion belted out by Lajon.
- 1. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
Greatest rock band ever, this song being them carrying their greatness from the 80's into the 90's. Song gives me chills, can relate very well to it
- 10. Today by Smashing Pumpkins
Best band ever. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is still the best album I have ever heard.
- 9. Take a Picture by Filter
Even though they strongly opposed napster, they still managed a few good tunes.
- 8. What I Got (reprise) by Sublime
This was the big party song that we all grew up with. Good times were had by all.
- 7. Wonderwall by Oasis
One of the songs that drew me into the alternative rock explosion. I love these guys.
- 6. Drive by Incubus
Another song with awesome lyrics and a great guitar work.
- 5. One Headlight by The Wallflowers
- 4. Bound to the Floor by Local H
What the hell happened to these guys? Another one hit wonder.
- 3. Time of your life by Green Day
- 2. Standing Outside Of A Broken Telephone Booth With by Primitive Radio Gods
This song was on the soundtrack from the 'The Cable Guy.' Fantastic song with unbelievable lyrics.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
The song that started a revolution. What else can i say?
By: Solomon aka 20/20
- 10. To Live and Die in LA by 2Pac
- 9. Hit em Up by 2Pac, Outlawz
- 8. California Love by 2Pac, Dr Dre
- 7. Made Niggaz by 2Pac
- 6. Kick in The Door by Notorious B.I.G
- 5. Goin Back 2 Cali by Notorious B.I.G
Ayo thanks 4 makin a song on CALI even though u rep Brooklyn New york R.I.P
- 4. Brooklyns Finest by Jay Z,Notorious B.I.G
- 3. Rock The Mic by State Property
- 2. Hail Mary Remix by 50 Cent, Eminem, Busta Rhymes
Yo yall killed Ja wit this joint.
- 1. The Wrap by Ja Rule
Man u came back and murdered 50 ,Eminem,and Busta wit this.
Ayo i wanna shout out to all my n1gg@s in Los Angeles. Holl@
By: Ff Copp
- 10. Real Slim Shady by Eminem
- 9. Rape Me by Nirvana
- 8. High And Dry by Radiohead
- 7. Santeria by Sublime
- 6. Everlong by Foo Fighters
- 5. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 4. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows
- 3. When I Come Around by Green Day
- 2. Glycerine by Bush
- 1. Come As You Are by Nirvana
these songs are not in order!
- 10. Don't Speak by No Doubt
- 9. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World by Prince
- 8. Vogue by Madonna
- 7. Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
- 6. Crying by Aerosmith
- 5. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
- 4. When I Come Around by Green Day
- 3. November Rain by Guns And Roses
- 2. Stars by Simply Red
- 1. Always by Bon Jovi
By: Nick Tartag
- 10. Molly (SIxteen Candles) by Sponge
I loved them What ever happened to them! They HAd great potential!
- 9. Shit Towne by Live
One of the most addicting unreleased song ever!
- 8. Tangerine Speedo by Caviar
- 7. Stitches by Orgy
I Love This Song!
- 6. Song 2 by Blur
Wenever Im Tired I listen to this and im fully awaken~!
- 5. Buddy Holly by Weezer
One of My Favorite Videos Ever!
- 4. Plowed by Sponge
My Favorite Song of The 90s
- 3. White Discussion by Live
The Best Guitar Riff of the 90s! Best Song to Scream to!
- 2. In The End by Linkin Park
Best Song By The Best Band!
- 1. Lightning Crashes by Live
This Song Really Got Me Into Alternative! Best Song Ever!~
Runner-Ups- Orgy-Blue Monday Live-Lakinis Juice Weezer- Say it aint so and Undone ( the sweater song)
By: Puneet Kakkar
- 10. No More No Less by Collective Soul
- 9. Fields Of Gold by Sting
master song from a master musician
- 8. Nightswimming by Rem
exudes warmth and meaning
- 7. Waiting For That Day by George Michael
another great song from a superb album
- 6. Head Over Feet by Alanis Morissette
feel like that
- 5. Rape Me by Nirvana
- 4. Cold Contagious by Bush
- 3. Winter by Tori Amos
- 2. Jumper by Third Eye Blind
- 1. Rape Me by Nirvana
best song from the best album ever-IN UTERO stark and frank!! and the best band ever
no space for KORN,,INCUBUS,,and bands like TRAVIS.....etc
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book