What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
By: David Adams
- 10. Nookie by Limp Bizkit
What'd you do it all for? Nookie!
- 9. Song 2 by Blur
Kinda seemed to be an underground anthem for a lot of youth.
- 8. Higher by Creed
Almost everyone got this song stuck in their head when it was released in the last september of the decade.
- 7. Local God by Everclear
A lot of people have completely overlooked Everclear, but this guy hasn't.
- 6. Adam Song by Blink 182
Amidst a barrage of not so serious songs from this pop-punk band arose this beauty.
- 5. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
With a really dark, scary-to-a-child video...this song was what made Soundgarden huge.
- 4. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Grunge...in the mainstream...need I say more?
- 3. Anthem For The Year 2000 by Silverchair
This song became really popular in the last few years of the Decade.
- 2. Enter Sandman by Metallica
For quite a while, this song was everywhere.
- 1. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
The music itself, and the rumor's surrounding the meaning of this song pushed this song through the decade.
By: Andrew H.
- 10. Song 2 by Blur
- 9. Smashing Pumpkins by Bullet With Butterfly Wings
- 8. Rooster by Alice In Chains
- 7. Spoonman by Soundgarden
- 6. All Apologies by Nirvana
- 5. Nirvana by Smells Like Teen Spirit
- 4. Black by Pearl Jam
- 3. Again by Alice In Chains
- 2. Zero by Smashing Pumpkins
- 1. Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana
- 10. Live by Dolphins Cry
Most people don't know that the very first name of this band was not Live. The few that do know that, think that Public Affection was their first name. This is ALSO WRONG, they had their first album on tape only (dead of a dictionary)under Public affection. But the very first name was: FIRST AID (without leadsinger: Ed Kowalczyk). Their first CD they released was MENTAL JEWELRY (check out beauty of gray) and not throwing copper, duhhhh.
- 9. The Offspring by Gone Away
Completely different from most other Offspring-songs (punk/rock). This is a real Rock-Ballad. Should be a classic. Check it out
- 8. Metallica by Unforgiven
- 7. Pearl Jam by Black
Best lyrics ever, you can't disagree. IMPOSSIBLE.
- 6. Bush by I Don't Want To Come Back Down From This Cloud
Cool Band, this is absolutely my fovorite, (although glycerine, machinehead & THE DISEASE OF THE DANCING CATS (heavy!!!) are fine also)
- 5. Pearl Jam by Jeremy
The whole story behind this song, (which probably everybody knows), including the clip (only MTV-clip Pearl Jam made till the late '90).
- 4. Round Here by Counting Crows
Counting Crows, absolutely great, have their own sound, Round Here is my '90 favo of the counting crows, but also great are: Hangin' Around, Mr. Jones & Long December. Another tip is MIAMI, I can not choose this one (released in 2002).I've got the feeling I'm the only one loving MIAMI, absolutely amazing, the beat, adams voice, the solo. Strange thing about this single is, I really can't tell if this is a sad or a happy song. CAN YOU?
- 3. Everlong by Foo Fighters
Absolutely good band, the song is amazing, check out the drummer in this song: fabulous.
- 2. Lightning Crashes by Live
Although I enjoy Dolphins cry, All over you, Selling the drama & I alone, this one is definetly the best of live.
- 1. Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam is by far the best band from the '90. (Although the best lyrics belong to Black,) I've chosen for the B-side of the single Jeremy: YELLOW LEDBETTER, almost everyone who hears the single the first time, they just love it, all of them, scary, very strange they did not sooner release this on an album (last dogs). Other great songs of PJ are: Black, Jeremy & Alive.
I'm sorry that I chose for 3 songs of Pearl Jam (Alive is my number 11) & 2 of Live, but otherwise I would not have been honoust. I think these 2 bands are so much better than the others, especially in the '90. (I really like nirvana, really do(so I hate to say this,) but compared to Pearl Jam they are like amateurs, only smells like teen spirit is a true classic(ok come as you are & lithium are good but not classic songs to me)I think it's unfair that when a singer dies they get much more credit than they deserve (Queen is the same story)
- 10. Do The Evelution by Pearl Jam
Great song with powerful lyrics and great guitars. Reminds me if the Doors and the MC5 made a song together.
- 9. Suck My Kiss by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Them at their best.
- 8. All Apologies (MTV's Unpluged) by Nirvana
A farewell that will last forever.
- 7. Trippin' On A Whole In A Paper Heart by Stone Temple Pilots
Great Rock & Roll song.
- 6. Man In A Box by Alice In Chains
Great powerful vocals by Staley.
- 5. Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots
Greatest highway song of all- time.
- 4. What I Got (Reprise) by Sublime
Great fun rock song.
- 3. Alive by Pearl Jam
Instant rock classic.
- 2. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
The 90s Freebird.
- 1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Lead rock music to a new era.
This is a list composed by someone who's bored at work. These songs are all great.
- 10. Glycerine by Bush
- 9. The Difference by Wallflowers
- 8. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
- 7. Falling in Love is Hard on the Knees by Aerosmith
- 6. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
- 5. Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down
- 4. It's My Life by Bon Jovi
- 3. Crazy by Aerosmith
- 2. Clumsy by Our Lady Peace
- 1. Come Out And Play by The Offspring
By: Tyrone Port
- 10. Slob on my Nob by Three 6 Mafia
- 9. If I Could Teach The World by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
- 8. Criminal by Eminem
- 7. Ruff Ryder's Anthem by DMX
- 6. Boyz 'N Tha Hood by Eazy E
- 5. Dr. Dre by What's the Difference
- 4. Big Pimpin' by Jay-Z
- 3. Juicy by Biggie Smalls
- 2. Changes by 2Pac
- 1. Dance by Nas
this song is so bomb
- 10. Long Way by Rootjoose
Great harmonica. One of their less structurally interesting songs but there's nothing wrong with that.
- 9. Inspiration by Rootjoose
For 5min11 through this song it wouldn't have made it into my top 10, then comes one of the most danceable moments in the album. Not really my favourite style but still very cool and shows a good diversity and production.
- 8. Can't Keep Living This Way by Rootjoose
For a while it seems like rootjoose have finally given in to commercial pop formula, until after about 2min30 they go off on one again. A good song even when it is a bit pop-y though.
- 7. Taxman by Rootjoose
An excellent cover of the Beatles song. Superb bassline.
- 6. Pie In The Sky by Rootjoose
The theme and lyrics pull this up to No.6. Though their light-hearted approach is probably the reason they don't wider acclaim, it does make an enjoyable album if you have a sense of humour.
- 5. Anniversary by Rootjoose
This songs shows that they can/could pull off just about any style. Again, great development and instrumentals.
- 4. Virtually Fat Free by Rootjoose
Superb, excellent vocal arrangement and dixieland horns. A perfect end to the album.
- 3. Mr Fixit by Rootjoose
Perhaps the most catchy chorus on the album,the rest of the song is worthy of No.3 too, i love it all.
- 2. The Parradiddle Song by Rootjoose
Though not their most catchy or well known song, the 1min14sec intro is one of the best moments on the album. Apart from being just very very cool, it shows a patience and a sensitive that is very rare. The rest of the song is awesome as well. The lead guitar in the middle 8 and the dab dab da's at the end... it's just good fun, and awesome.
- 1. Holiday by Rootjoose
The viruosic performance, the imaginative contrast and development, the energy, the humour, the well balanced recording and musical texture so characteristic of rootjoose and of this outstanding album, are come together perfectly in this song.
I like a whole range of music but usually, in any genre, good music gets due recognition. Rootjoose are an exception.
By: The Rooster
- 10. Fire Water Burn by Bloodhound Gang
not too much like the other songs but still funny as hell
- 9. Shoots And Ladders by Korn
- 8. Buddy Holly by Weezer
Just about any weezer song off the blue album will do.
- 7. Closer by Nine Inch Nails
Trent Reznor's a musical genius
- 6. Psyther by Varuka Sult
Anyone remember Jamming to this song?
- 5. I Got A Girl by Tripping Daisy
- 4. Plowed Or Wax - Ecstatic by Sponge
2 great songs by a not very known band anymore.
- 3. Nirvana by All Apologies
- 2. All Of Black Album And Some Of Load And Reload by Metallica
Back in the day...
- 1. Down In A Hole by Alice In Chains
sums up my life
By: Kathy Keishia Dannii
- 10. One Week by Barenaked Ladies
Really catchy. One week since I said I liked Another Postcard!
- 9. Smells like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
The nineties never really began until this song came out.
- 8. Waterfalls by TLC
Catchy Tune. Nice to have rap without swearing and the junk that's on it today. Nice to have girls rap, too.
- 7. I will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
The best love song ever. Whitney, get your act together and get a divorce!
- 6. Just a girl by No Doubt
I am more than just a girl!
- 5. Good Riddance (Time of your Life) by Green Day
I hope you had the time of your life in the nineties because we're in the noughties now!
- 4. Vision of Love by Mariah Carey
Mariah has the best vocals! No one goes higher, and no woman goes lower! I love your sings!
- 3. Don't Speak by No Doubt
Breakups are a part of life. I don't need your reasons why we shouldn't break up. Don't tell me because it hurts!
- 2. Torn by Natalie Imbruglia
I might be just a girl, but I'm not vulnerable, lying naked on the floor. Go on, Natalie!
- 1. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette
Finally, someone speaks for me!
Honourable Mention: Jeremy by Pearl Jam, I would do anything for love (but I won't do that) by Meat Loaf, Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio, and Candle in the Wind 1997 (RIP Diana!)
- 10. Bounce by Jay Z
- 9. I'll Give All My Love To You by Keith Sweat
Keith Sweat was the man!!
- 8. Baby Hold On To Me by Gerald Lavert
Another good love song
- 7. I'll Be There (Live) by Mariah Carey
This was a great remake
- 6. Baby Got Back by Sir Mix Alot
I still hear this one alot.
- 5. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
My local radio station once had a "Ice Ice Baby" marathon, the song played nonstop for two hours!
- 4. Shameless by Garth Brooks
Hopelessly in love..love song!!
- 3. Everything I Do I Do It For You by Bryan Adams
awesome love song
- 2. Kissing Game by Hi-5
Very bubble gum, but very good!!
- 1. I Wanna Sex You Up by Color Me Bad
One of my ALL TIME favorites
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book