What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
By: Chris Henderson
- 10. Lightning Crashes by Live
I like this song, and I'm tried. But you know it's awsome
- 9. Tonight tonight by Smashing Pumpkins
This song really showed the world how smart the Pumpkins were.
- 8. Nautical Disaster by The Tragically Hip
A song about the worst disaster in Canadian naval history. It is because of those kinds of topics that Americans will never be able to listen to the Hip. But that's what makes them so great. The won't give in just to make cash. Damn right. This song is straight up rock and roll. Drums, guitar, bass. Boo-ya.
- 7. Buddy Holly by Weezer
Great song. Good band to bust out onto the scene. A little post punk for ya. It's damn wicked. Especially since it makes fun of white guy ebonics before making fun of white guy ebonics was cool.
- 6. Lithium by Nirvana
Really, this is the best song on that CD, and you know it. Smells like teen Spirit might have been the it-song of the 90's, but this song shows you what Nirvana are totally made of. Loud soft loud soft. It's the formula that made them famous and it works really well here. Especially with the Lyrics.
- 5. Don't Speak by No Doubt
A great song about breaking up, a good old fashion rock and roll topic. Also, it features a female vocalist, which is rare in such a stand out rock song like this.
- 4. November Rain by Guns And Roses
This is pretty obvious. It's a great long epic song. No one does these anymore, really, especially since this song. This song is probably the Stairway to Heaven of the 1990's.
- 3. Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton
I'm talking about the MTV unplugged version. I might wager that this song is the best tribute to anyone ever. The live version could bring you to tears. It's unfortunate that this song had to come from such an unfortunate situation. Still, this is the ultimate gift a father could give to a fallen son.
- 2. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
This is probably the best song of the grunge era. It has a good social message and the music is fantastic. It showcases Eddie Vedder's unique style better than any other Pearl Jam song.
- 1. Everlong by Foo Fighters
There is something about this song. It all comes together. The Lyrics are open for interpretation, the New wave drum beat is very retro and works well, the song is creepy and beautiful all at the same time. This is probably the song that Foo Fighters should be remembered for, and I think that it does them justice.
I only included rock in here because if you were able to make a stand out rock song in the 1990s, then it probably was one of the best songs of the 90's
- 10. Paula Abdul by Will You Marry Me?
"Spellbound" is one of the most underrated albums of the 90's.
- 9. Rain by Madonna
- 8. Love Will Never Do (Without You) by Janet Jackson
- 7. Salvation by The Cranberries
- 6. Not The Doctor by Alanis Morrissette
Not as much angst--and it shines.
- 5. The One by Elton John
- 4. Break It Down Again by Tears For Fears
Finest song of what is known as an 80's band.
- 3. Kiss The Rain by Billie Myers
- 2. In The Closet by Michael Jackson
- 1. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows
There are so many other songs and artists I'd love to add (Bjork, Smashing Pumpkins, Shawn Colvin, Paula Cole..) Late 90's has been disgusting bubblegum drivel. I can't handle it. Oh, I also love "Return To Innocence" by Enigma.
- 10. surfer girl by homegrown
its a great song
- 9. she has a girlfriend now by reel big fish
- 8. like a dog by jfc
- 7. here in your bedroom by goldfinger
- 6. world is new by save ferris
- 5. sell out by reel big fish
- 4. shes alright by skeletones
- 3. spiderwebs by no doubt
- 2. johnny quest thinks we are sellouts by less than jake
- 1. date rape by sublime
any ska band is cool!!they all should have been on the list but i can only do 10.
By: James Waterhouse
- 10. Roadtripping by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
good to fall asleep to!
- 9. California Dreaming by Pennywise
Heavy remake of the original
- 8. Hidden Agenda by Pitchshifter
Little known of but superb band.
- 7. Killing in the Name Of by Rage Against The Machine
- 6. Creep by Radiohead
- 5. I dont have anything by Vast
- 4. In Bloom by Nirvana
at least its not "smells like teen spirit!"
- 3. If by The Bluetones
- 2. Sugar by System of a Down
- 1. Street Spirit (Fade Out) by Radiohead
most depressing song i know. absolutley amazing
Only a few of my many favourites. Best band is definately RADIOHEAD
- 10. In My Tree by Pearl Jam
Yes, there is a lot of Pearl Jam on here, but that is because they are the best out there. Simple, isn't it?
- 9. Blow Up The Outside World by Soundgarden
- 8. Corduroy by Pearl Jam
Voted ocala florida's favorite song
- 7. Eulogy by Tool
- 6. The Bends by Radiohead
this album rocks
- 5. Given to Fly by Pearl Jam
Triumph at it's best
- 4. Today by Smashing Pumpkins
- 3. Jesus Christ Pose by Soundgarden
matt cameron is god
- 2. Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead
first of many
- 1. Black by Pearl Jam
- 10. Round Here by Counting Crows
There were about twenty songs I wanted to put in this slot but i think this one represents the ninties well enough
- 9. Glyocerine by Bush
When you hear this simple 4 chord song you have to stop all conversation and listen as Gavin speaks of his problems
- 8. Bitter Sweet Symphony by the Verve
I know the music is stolen, and i do hold that against them, but a great song...yes
- 7. Live by Iris
ok, maybe this is my fememin side showing its gay self, but this is and should be known as perhaps the most poetic song of the ninties
- 6. Loser by Beck
Started another Music gernera (i can't spell) exclusively emcompassed by Beck Hanson.
- 5. Alive by Pearl Jam
Most would give the nod over to Jeremy, but the first time i herd Alive i knew it was one of the greats, and Jeremy, was only as pouplar, because it had the better viedo
- 4. Closer by Nine Inch Nails
If this song didn't make you almost tear your hair out when you heard it then please keep listening to more of your shallow 'life is perfect because i'm young and good lookin' backstreet boys. this one's for all the uglyness
- 3. Wonderwall by Oasis
How can you deny the greatness of the Gallagers? Lyrics and Music: neither one over shadows the other
- 2. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Let's face it the only reason this song is nirvana's best known is because it was first on the CD. It opened up a whole door for a new kind of rock the was so simple only the intelegent (not me) could enjoy
- 1. No Rain by Blind Melon
Although the bands only known song it emcompased all that the ninties stood for, all that it didn't, all that they should have been and all that wasn't
- 10. beastie boys by sabotage
had to get some funky stuff in here
- 9. friday im in love by the cure
not a fan of the cure but this song is great driving home friday afternoon ready for the weekend
- 8. austin powers theme by ??
- 7. chemical brothers by block rockin beats
not their best song or the best dance song but it got me and a lot of other people into techno and clubbin
- 6. distant sun by crowded house
another 80's band, this is one of the last songs they ever wrote
- 5. iris by goo goo dolls
a bit soft for some, but hey, its my list not yours
- 4. latter days by over the rhine
nobody seems to have heard of this band which shows how stupid top 40 radio is
- 3. unfinished sympathy by massive attack
if you havnt heard it or seen the video then go find it now. a bloody amazing song
- 2. hallelujah by jeff buckley
just jeff singing and his guitar. nothing else.
- 1. one by U2
or pretty much anything else by U2, the biggest and best band of the last 20 years. this is probably the best one from the 90's though.
no nirvana or any grunge beacause it didnt do anything for me and died out in the end dint it. had to leave out a lot of good hiphop and dance stuff but hey thats life
- 10. Another day in paradise by Phil Collins
Very thought provoking. Think about it.
- 9. Disposable Heroes by Metallica
This is not such a famous track, but the lyrics are so very relevant in this day and time.
- 8. Ridiculous Thoughts by The Cranberries
Dolores O'Riordan has a wonderful voice. This song is their best in my humble opinion.
- 7. Give it away by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Everybody loves this one...
- 6. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
Reminds you of all the things you did when you were a kid
- 5. Smells like teen spirit by Nirvana
I love the way it begins....
- 4. Don't want to miss a thing by Aerosmith
The best movie soundtrack there is. They keep getting better
- 3. The Unforgiven II by Metallica
Great lyrics and great song overall.
- 2. Tie : November Rain & Estranged by Guns 'n Roses
Probably their greatest songs ever
- 1. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
Haunting Tune, Great Lyrics. I have yet to meet someone who heard this song and didn't like it....
By: Corie Beth
- 10. Mama said by Metallica
- 9. Hero of the day by MetallicA
- 8. aint my bitch by Metallica
- 7. Sex by Limp Bizkit
- 6. fallen away from me by Korn
- 5. Turn the page by Metallica
- 4. Whiskey in a jar by Metallica
- 3. Its been awhile by Staind
- 2. Until it sleeps by Metallica
- 1. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
By: Anthony Dunkel
- 10. The Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang
great dance song, every single person i know has heard of it or owns it
- 9. Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers
great song of all the things that this great state has to offer
- 8. Slide by Goo Goo Dolls
Just a great song, upbeat, always puts a smile on ur face
- 7. Amish Paradise by Weird Al Yankovic
Absolutely hirarious song, I had tears in my eyes when i listened to it for the first time
- 6. Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
Great song, probably high up there on everybody's list
- 5. Pinch Me by Barenaked Ladies
- 4. Under Pressure (1981) by David Bowie and Queen
One of my all-time fav songs, just something about it makes me stop what i'm doing to listen to it.
- 3. The Real Slim Shady by Eminem
I'm not a huge rap fan, but this is one of my fav songs, funny too
- 2. The Promise (1983) by When In Rome
One of the greatest songs in my mind, i sang it to my g/f one night when things were rough, needless to say, things weren't rough after that.
- 1. I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) by Meat Loaf
Longest song I know of at exactly 12 minutes, but one of the greatest songs i've ever listened to
i know this is a mix of songs from the 80's and the 90's, but there they are, in a very peticular order
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book